Square 4 meets 'white van man'

pictures (or stories) of hideous injuries sustained by your ariel
robjameson
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: Square 4 meets 'white van man'

Post by robjameson »

Mark,

You must be feeling a bit better if you are thinking about repairing the four already!

A few notes on some things you have raised - unfortunately the frames on the singles, twins and fours in plunger are all different at the front, although whether you could graft the back end of a solid plunger on would be worth exploring.

My suggestion on an 'Ariel garage' would be to refer it to Draganfly. It is almost a certainty that it will be written off, but make sure you buy back, otherwise the bits will all get lost/thrown. It would be worth speaking to John Bradshaw if you can, he had an accident in Germany a few years ago, resulting in the loss of his VH.

I think John broke his pelvis in the accident, and he is older than you are, and he is riding again as far as I'm aware, so keep focused and you'll be back in the saddle in no time!
Rob Jameson
AOMCC Member Number 4068
1957 Ariel VH
1954 Ariel KH
1948 Ariel 4G with 1920's Ariel Sidecar/Triumph Chassis
AOMCC Twin Spares Organiser
paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by paul.jameson »

Thank goodness you are recovering Mark. You might like to talk to Alan Simpson who is expert on claims in circumstances like this. Contact me off Forum for his details if need be.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
alan.moore

Post by alan.moore »

Sorry to hear of your collision and I wish you, and the Ariel, a speedy recovery.

As Paul has stated, I would also suggest that you speak to someone who can advise you on what action you can take to recover the FULL monetary amount you are entitled to. In my experience the insurance companies will try and sort it out quickly, write the bike off and offer you some cash (the suggestion that you take it to an Ariel dealer suggests they are not experienced in dealing with classic bike claims). If you take some legal advice from a reputable solicitor experienced in Road Traffic Collisions / personal injuries...usually an initial consultation is free....you may well find that, as it is a classic bike and a treasured personal possession (as opposed to just a mode of transport) you can claim for a rebuild (for the bike) and receive compensation for your injuries, any loss of income, and any other expenses incurred as a result of your injuries. A solicitor will also advise on the possibility that injuries may never fully heal and compensation can be claimed for reduced loss of mobility, however slight. In over 90% of cases the 'other side' will settle out of court, even higher % when their client is clearly in the wrong.

It may seem a lot of trouble, especially if you are feeling unwell at the moment, but investigating your options, and starting the ball rolling early, can pay dividends further down the line.

The 'sneezing' explanation is an old ploy as 'automatism' (total failure of voluntary control) is a defence to careless driving. However, it is rarely successful as a defence as the time element of a sneeze is very short. In a case such as yours the other driver should have seen you for a significant time interval before the collision.

Last point is that, whether or not the Police prosecute, does not affect your ability to claim or the amount you can claim.

All the best, hope you are both back on the road as soon as possible.
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single;1952 VHA engined project
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t
MARK.WALSH
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by MARK.WALSH »

That's what's so good about this forum - always good advise from other riders etc.
I will give Drags a call when I return from hospital today (check-up on the metal rods) It will be interesting to see if Drags can assist and I might ask if they also know the amount I have spent with them on restoring the bike through their computer records.
I will try and keep any components of the Ariel (buy back) as even if a rebuild is viable or not, it would be criminal to be part of making any useable component being crushed just to tick a box on an insurance companies books
Thanks again all
Mark
david.anderson

Post by david.anderson »

Mark
good to see that you are on the road to recovery.
I certainly hope that the bike can be rebuilt.
David
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

Pretty impressive sneeze.. Glad they are prosecuting.
I hope you recover well and quickly Mark.
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
Keith.owen

Post by Keith.owen »

Mark,
It's going to be interesting if ever you go through the airport scanners.................or are the rods on the outside?

Get well soon!

Keith
Keith Owen
Editor Cheval de Fer
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
1951 Rigid Ariel NH (under construction)
1973 Norton 850 Commando Interstate
MARK.WALSH

Post by MARK.WALSH »

Keith
just saw the rod for the 1st time on x-ray and It goes through the centre of the bone. As far as the bone goes I would describe it like a plastic biro that has been trod on. Shards and bits all over the place in my leg. I am beginning to wonder what the prognosis is long term as to kicking over bikes!
regards
Mark
Steven.Carter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Steven.Carter »

Cycling when you feel strong enough might be something could help.

Steve
Mike.Morgan

Post by Mike.Morgan »

Horrible to see an Ariel in his state, but glad you are okay!

Sean O'Brian from the Lancs branch has been through a insurance claim recently where the bike was written off, may be worth speaking to him?