JPR 182 Humtmaster

Who has my old bike ? What was this bike? Pictures of your old bikes etc
RobCarter
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

JPR 182 Humtmaster

Post by RobCarter »

Chap on ebay is trying to trace the current owner of the above 1956 bike. He has all the original paperwork that he inherited from the now departed previous owner. Any information would be appreciated. I have searched the reg and it comes up as a BMW 320D so I am not holding out much hope, but ya never know.

Thanks.
Rob C.
1954 FH
Roger James
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: JPR 182 Humtmaster

Post by Roger James »

Hi Rob, The frustrating thing is, the information will be there on the DVLA computer system to establish whether this Huntmaster potentially still exists today but I don't know how we can access it, we know DVLA wont play ball and only release the bare minimum of information even to owners of machines.
If this registration number is now on a BMW320D we can presume it was subject of a cherished transfer although this could have taken place many years ago and even been swapped from one vehicle to another to confuse things but each transfer will have been recorded on the DVLA computer including dates of transfers etc. The Huntmaster will in all probability have been given an age related number so could be running about on that number today, or, soon after being given an age related number declared scrapped, (as happened to an Arrow I own see below) or broken up and parts sold on, in effect job done all interest in the motorcycle finished as all they were interested in was the registration number, rather sad but that's the way it has been and still is in some cases.
But lets look on the bright side, the Huntmaster was issued with an age related number once its original number had been transferred and its still out there somewhere, if not used on the road, it might be on S.O.R.N parked up in a shed, it would be nice to get the original paperwork re-united with the machine even under a different reg number now, wouldn't we all like original paperwork for our machines.
The problem is finding out what the age related number is now on the Huntmaster as a line of enquiry, how could we get that information out of DVLA when they wont play ball.
When I was in full time employment and had access to The Police National Computer (for official business of course) that was and probably still is linked to the DVLA computer a search on the registration number originally on the Huntmaster would have brought up details of the BMW with its history of any cherished transfers so you could trace its history, whether there would have been a link to the registration number of the Huntmaster I cannot now be certain but in any event a separate search could be done on the frame number of the Huntmaster (presuming its listed in the original paperwork) and this would or should bring up its details and show its current registration number.(or show it declared scrapped).
A search of the frame number or V.I.N number on cars is the way burnt out vehicles are identified or where the registration plates have been removed.
I have contacted Customer Services by phone in the past and asked them to do a search on the frame/VIN number but they wouldn't do it although I suspect the staff in that department were not authorised to carry out those kinds of searches or could but been told not to carry out such searches for a general public enquiry.
I've also contacted them to enquire about the existence of a registration number on one of the Ariel Arrows that wasn't on the computer and found out it had been subject of a cherished transfer but most frustratingly they wouldn't give me any details over the phone and suggested I go to the L.V.L.O in person which I did but it only confirmed the Arrow had been scrapped after being issued with the age related number, thing is you can't even visit the L.V.L.O now because they've closed them down.
I don't think approaching DVLA and asking them for information under the Freedom of Information Act would work as the DVLA seem to protect the information they have about vehicles as though it is Top Secret information not to be released.
Perhaps there is a way of obtaining such information, I just don't know, if anyone does know how then I would be very interested to be appraised as would a lot of people I'm sure. Roger
Martin K
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Martin K »

Well - what do you know. I've just bought this bike. Its been in a private collection for many years, and was originally JPR 182. It is indeed now on a different age-related plate, but the original Buff logbook I've got (with the right engine number and frame) shows JPR 182 as it's first incarnation.

I see this original post is from 2015 not sure if the chap looking is still looking, but at least we can join two ends of the story!
TonyBaxter
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by TonyBaxter »

It's a shame that the original number cannot be returned to the bike.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

TonyBaxter wrote:It's a shame that the original number cannot be returned to the bike.
Hi

JPR182 cannot be found on the DVLA website which implies the registration is not in current use. As the current owner has the old buff log book recording the original registration it should be possible to reclaim the number under the V765 scheme.

Regards Mick
Martin K
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Martin K »

This is fascinating. I would LOVE to reunite the bike with it's original number. Would you be kind enough to explain in layman's terms how to do that (I do have the original buff book from 1956), it would bring a nice circularity to it all to find an previously unknown model, add it to the database and line up the frame, engine, gearbox and reg correctly from it's very first day!

Many thanks

Martin K
Julian Murphy

Post by Julian Murphy »

Martin.

Go to:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ion-number

or just google V765.

Its all there.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Martin

It's pretty painless - follow the instructions on the DVLA website linked above, get the documents 'authorised' by a listed organisation and forward the package to DVLA - I am told the current processing time is around four weeks for this service, (you can check here):

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/dvla-corona ... -19-update

Scroll down the page to the 'progress list'

Regards Mick
Martin K
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Martin K »

Hi Mick, Julian

thanks for your advice. I've looked at the DVSA site, all seems straightforward

General request:

I've emailled the AOMCC nominated contact for 'dating' (not like that - oo er, missus :lol: ) to a Mr Longman - is he on the site and PM-able?

thanks

Martin
Julian Murphy

Post by Julian Murphy »

Oh. I dont know.

I'm sure somebody will be along soon who can answer your question.