One of the earliest 1000cc Square Fours

paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

One of the earliest 1000cc Square Fours

Post by paul.jameson »

I have decided it is time to let you all see my November 1936 Square Four project. The photo was taken in March 2012 when I had just bought the machine. Eagle eyed Ariel owners will note the lack of anything in front of the steering head, the poor supply of instruments, the lack of a carb and the gutless magneto. They may also spot the incorrect rear number plate and the incorrect (MK I) oil tank. The good news was that there were a pair of crankshafts (not shown in the photo) and a spare head and cylinder block.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
paul.jameson

Re: One of the earliest 1000cc Square Fours

Post by paul.jameson »

At the second attempt, here might be the photo.
IMG_3707.JPG
Paul Jameson
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Steven.Carter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Steven.Carter »

That will look nice Paul, do you have a front end for it?
Steve
RobCarter
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by RobCarter »

That is going to be stunning when it's done.
Rob C.
1954 FH
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

The current state of the Square is as per the photo. The front wheel came from the 2012 Annual Rally, courtesy of Bob Kear having a clearout. Most of the fork bits came from John Budgen but Jerry Mortimore was kind enough to provide the fork blades. A missing top link came from Geoff Brown. The top yoke which the handlebar bracket bolts to was an ex W/NG item with the brackets removed. I found the hard way that the resulting diameter was too small for the handlebar bracket so I had to make up and press on some suitable cylindrical spacers. Then I found that the ex W/NG handlebar bracket clamps are yet another diameter so I made up new clamps, to almost original dimensions, from solid. That was one large amount of machining for two parts which are almost invisible on the finished machine. Powder coating of frame, forks, hubs, etc. has been done by Redditch Shot Blasting & Powder Coating. I painted and lined the rims last summer then built the wheels a couple of months ago. I will shortly take the tyres back off again to remove the Continental tubes which are presently fitted. I am not going to run the risk of a blow out. Handlebars are from Draganfly and made to the original drawing but came without the small hole for the bolt which prevents them from rotating too far in the rubber mounts. Working out where that hole should go and then marking it on the bars in the correct position was another challenge.
Attachments
IMG_6254.JPG
Paul Jameson
chris.shearwood
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by chris.shearwood »

Hi Paul,
Your project is looking good. Where did you get the black spring for the rear stand. I've only been able to find the (incorrect) chromed ones and it seems like a needless hassle to remove the chrome and then paint the spring?
Regards, Chris
1946 4G and 1951 VH
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

Sad to say Chris, but I found the spring in a box in my workshop and painted it black having attacked it with a wire brush.
Paul Jameson
david.anderson

Post by david.anderson »

Paul
A nice start. now please keep the pictures coming.
David
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

One of those days when suddenly there seems to be progress after a long time in preparation. The engine is in the frame. This is not the same engine as seen in the first photo. The one that came with the bike had mis-matched crankcases and some pretty rusty (although salvageable) cranks. Bruce Longman had this bottom end which is only 32 from the correct number for the bike. I won't get any closer than that so I did an exchange with him, although the exchange did involve me parting with cash as well. Having sat in a shed for about 30 years, the inside of the new engine was full of all manner of things, none of them good. The cranks were reground by South Cerney Engineering who also line bored the mains. I have fitted new club rods and a new club camshaft but it took days to get the crankcases to a level of cleanliness I was satisfied with. Yesterday was spent largely making engine bolts and then today it was clean off the excess powder coating and assemble. Time for a beer to celebrate.
Attachments
IMG_6257.JPG
IMG_6255.JPG
Paul Jameson
simon.holyfield

Post by simon.holyfield »

Looking lovely Paul. Who has the club camshafts? I'd be interested in of those.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com