Grandfathers Bike

Who has my old bike ? What was this bike? Pictures of your old bikes etc
Darren.burr

Grandfathers Bike

Post by Darren.burr »

Hi all

I would be interested to hear from anyone who may know any information about the bike in the picture. The picture is of my late grandfather on what
I believe it is a 1937 Ariel Red Hunter NH350 (to be confirmed) Registration EPG 970. I would love to know if this bike is still around and even possibly for
sale.

Cheers Darren
Attachments
IMG_3356.JPG
adrie.degraaff
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Grandfathers Bike

Post by adrie.degraaff »

Hi Darren,
I think it's a 1937 but it looks like a 20mm cilinderfoot making it a 500cc.
This picture is giving a wartime impression but somehow I have the feeling that this picture is not so old becouse of al the weare.
It looks like a (restored) motorcycle, no paint on tank and rims.

At first the owner didn't want a silencer but than he tought lets have a small one :D
PeterW
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by PeterW »

Picture is certainly wartime - he would have taken the headlamp mask off at the first opportunity.

Unfortunately they are very hard to trace from their registrations as so many got sold off. If its not still on the original plate I guess you'd have to see if the registration authority have details of the frame number then check if the club can match it.
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

PeterW wrote:Picture is certainly wartime - he would have taken the headlamp mask off at the first opportunity.
A 5 year old motorcycle with cromed frontspring and headlamp supports, no paint on the rims, a 18 inch rearrim with a fat tire?
PeterW

Post by PeterW »

I'm not saying its a WNG just a bike being used during wartime. Looks like it had some sporting pretensions judging by the tyres & exhaust but I'm not aware of the headlamp masks existing before the war and they would have been taken off as soon as possible after.
I may not have been a service bike but all sorts were requisitioned. The letters at the front of the mudguard suggest some sort of official use - or maybe just a club marking?
Certainly an interesting bike!
Darren.burr

Post by Darren.burr »

Just some history about my grandfather, He was born and lived all of his life in a Barkway near Royston in Hertfordshire. He was cook in the RAF during the war and toured in Africa, Malta. Not sure if that helps or clears up on the military side of things ??

On another note how would I go about checking on the registration ?

Have the DVLA shut down the information website due to privacy ?
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

What would help also is his date off birth so we can estimate the date of the photo.
This Ariel has had an heavy live before this photo so it can be as late as 1960, not only touring around Africa but around the world would fit.
Tire clamps and a fat tire against bumps and stones, there must be an old 50's magasin with the story.
Darren.burr

Post by Darren.burr »

I have just spoken with my dad and got his date of birth which was 21/5/1921. He also thought that this picture was
taken between 1945 -1949 but was not 100%. I have sent him up into the loft to dig out the old pics to see if we have any
others that may have a date on the back.
tony.barnett

Post by tony.barnett »

The DVLA website doesn't have any details of the bike so if its not on their records its been off the road since the early 80s if it still exists. PG is a Surrey registration number which is `presumed destroyed'.
KOBI
Swindon Branch Secretary
Ariels - 1913 TT Model, 20 Roadster, 28 Model D, 30 Model B, 38 VH, 52 VH
Velocette MAC, KSS Mk1
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

tony.barnett wrote:`presumed destroyed'.
Or sold over the border, I am not giving in yet.
There aren't many 1937 Ariels in the Netherlands and if it was restored than that damaged primary would have bein for sale.
There is a 1936 VH here wich is sold new in Surry but that's a longshot (there is not much differends between 1937 and 36).
I have just learned that the 18 inch rearwheel is used in 1939 squares.
Maybe if you scan the photo we could see if it's a 500cc or other details.