1958 VH First Ariel ride after 45 years.

steve.clarke
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

1958 VH First Ariel ride after 45 years.

Post by steve.clarke »

Hot off the M26
Hot off the M26
So here I am in Andover 108 odd miles away about to start and ride home my first Ariel since circa 1969, starting, managed to remember that tickle, slight retard, choke, decompressor third kick she's running, check oil is pumping lights and brakes ok, we are away, manage to ride it like a slight retard me not the bike for about 5 miles, gas up and onto the A303 cruise at 60 and 1969 and racing against my mates turbo twin down the Sidcup bypass on my NH is coming back :), until oh no! power is dropping off and lots of smoke and oil :? pull over, tighten up the A/R lever centre bolt and unblock the oil cap vent I am away ( I'm getting the hang of this again 8-) ) 60 up the M3 cruise at 70 past fleet services and onto the M25 bloody hell :shock: clear road ahead the M25 is not a car park today ok lets give her her head 70 80 and going strong fast lane and and start passing the dawdlers thats one sleepy open top Triumph Stag driver thats just had a sudden wake up call as a VH blasts past at 80 1969 is definitely back now, so she is back in the garage a few oil leaks to attend to and a bit of fettling and I should be right for the kent weekender Friday. when the chap offered her for sale at the Annual I said no I have two to restore already, bloody Ariels get under your skin, I have been wanting another one since I regretfully sold my NH in the 70's so 40 odd years later I have put that one right.
Cheers Steve.
Attachments
1958 VH 500
1958 VH 500
57VH 58VH 56HS IN A 58FH Frame, mortal remains of a 57NH 1999 FZS 600
fpassmore

Re: 1958 VH First Ariel ride after 45 years.

Post by fpassmore »

Lovely acquisition, they do get under your skin that is certain.

Frank
'51 SQ4, '56 NH, '56 VH, '37 VH500 Red Hunter, '56 SQ4 (basket case), '49 Sq4 (basket case), '48 A7 BSA Twin, 12 other BSA's, 9 Norton's, 2 Triumph's, 3 Ducati's and 3 Japanese. Just crazed is all my problem is.
Steven.Carter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Steven.Carter »

Fantastic well traveled bike Steve
dscf4037.jpg
Steve
steve.clarke

Post by steve.clarke »

Thanks I'm pleased with it,Good picture Steve where was that taken?I like the look of the screen might have to get one for distance work, I have had a look but I can't find the Turbo though. :)
Keith.owen
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Keith.owen »

Wow!
Lovely bike. Must admit I'd like some rear suspension...........my rigid is a bit disconcerting on these bumpy roads around here if I go at any speed above about 45-50 ish.

It must feel great blasting down the M3 at 80!!!!!!!!!!!

Next time you are down this way, drop in for a cuppa.

Safe riding,

Keith 8-)
Keith Owen
Editor Cheval de Fer
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
1951 Rigid Ariel NH (under construction)
1973 Norton 850 Commando Interstate
david.anderson

Post by david.anderson »

Steve
Congratulations on your purchase. I just love the swing arm singles, and they will take a thrashing. But clearly the hard ride has pushed out a bit of oil which has baked onto the exhaust, and the headlight and blinkers are a little down after the hard ride.
That bike is fairly original and even came with the fully enclosed rear chaincase. It is a pity the horn is not original. I am looking for an original horn myself and have been for about 5 years so hopefully they are easier to come by for you.
The front tyre appears to be a 4.10. You will find the bike will feel more nimble and will turn into corners a little quicker if you go back to a 3.60 when it comes time for replacement.
You will have to tell us if the hydraulic front brake is any better . And what is the extra bit around the exhaust pipe at the port.
David
robjameson
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by robjameson »

The hydraulic brakes can work very well, I have mini mintex linings in mine which make it very very good!

David, I did have a spare horn until my vh vibrated off on a long run to be lost forever! They show up at quite a few jumbles over here, do you want me to look out for one for you?
Rob Jameson
AOMCC Member Number 4068
1957 Ariel VH
1954 Ariel KH
1948 Ariel 4G with 1920's Ariel Sidecar/Triumph Chassis
AOMCC Twin Spares Organiser
david.anderson

Post by david.anderson »

Rob
that would be great thanks
David
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

There's a perfectly good original Altette on the side of the road between Tamworth and Armidale.
Do you think the horn is a bit too heavy for the bracket?
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
steve.clarke

Post by steve.clarke »

Hello David
You are very observant you spotted all the after ride defects for rectification except the Toolbox which had also come loose with the horn and all the wires had shaken off and the air box rubber which detached completly, the previous owner said he had never had her up to those sort of speeds and laughed when I Phoned him and told him. I guess she probably was a trailered rally bike and never been given her head the chap is 82 after all, pre giving her a blast it took a while to get her measure and on a clear bit of road I tested the brakes the Hydrulic anchor used in conjunction with the rear is well capable of bringing her up short from motorway speeds and I did not get any brake fade but I will bleed it out completely as a matter of course. you are dead on with the oil leaks as i have a waterproof right boot but that's not unexpected after a hard run and I will rectify those as I go along. 80MPH is within a VH's capability as long as you keep them properly fettled but I will run it with another speedo as the one on it was fluctuating a bit after 80mph as it was showing 90MPH at some points.the exhuast also well spotted it's been modded with a stub and a cut back pipe because of the difficulty of sealing the pipe on the push in head but it blows by so I will have to sort it, Thanks for the tyre advice.
Regards Steve.