Cibie 12v headlight

General electrical problems
keith.hodgenia
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by keith.hodgenia »

In the past there was a problem getting LED lamps to focus. If they have it sorted now they could be just what we need. Keith.
david.anderson
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Cibie 12v headlight

Post by david.anderson »

Rob
If you are going to purchase a new reflector/glass then I would purchase one for the H4 headlight globe. H4 globes are more readily available than BPF and there is a better range of globes, including 12v 45w, and 6v 35w quartz and Xenon globes. Some of the BPF quartz globes are shorter and do not focus in the headlight. I purchased one of those globes from an Aussie manufacturer and it was useless. There are no Xenon BPF globes available.
I then purchased the H4 reflector with a pilot from Paul Goff and now use H4 globes. There is no problem with the length of the globes and they focus perfectly.
I am currently using Osram Nightbreaker Xenon 12v 55w – 60w globes in 3 of my bikes. Osram claims the Nightbreaker to be 110% brighter and have a 35m longer beam than 60w Quartz halogen. Philips Xenon globes are claimed to be 40% brighter. The 12v 60w Osram Nightbreaker is the best motorcycle headlight that I have ever ridden behind. i have never tried HID.
My 4 has a 300w alternator and one of my singles has an Alton alternator so having adequate output for a 60w headlight is not a problem. But on my other bike I have a 60w Lucas E3L and a V-Reg II electronic regulator running at 12v. The Lucas generator is original, not rewound, and is adequate, but I generally only use the headlight at night on this bike and I use a 10w quartz pilot light for daytime running, particularly in winter as I am also using handlebar heaters that draw about 35w. I have also fitted an LED taillight to this bike. The bike has been run for 3 hours non stop with headlights on without an overheated generator or regulator. The generator will also break even on the ammeter running headlights and handlebar heaters.
The only LED headlight that I have seen was useless although it did appear bright from the front.
David
Steven.Carter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Steven.Carter »

My sister at work today said you've received a camping pot from China, well thats what it said on the package. when I opened it I found my led headlight!!
Here it is
20140826_185227.jpg
Not much time to do anything but it does seem bright when connected to 12 volts. It says on the bulb it can do 6v to 36v. So I connected it to 4 aa batteries.
Not so bright but the volts from the batteries I had only read 5.5volts
I'll try it in the bike over the weekend and I'll let you know how good it is. Or not!!!
20140826_193524.jpg
robjameson
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by robjameson »

I've ordered an hid kit and a new reflector so I'll post when I receive and let you know how it goes...
Rob Jameson
AOMCC Member Number 4068
1957 Ariel VH
1954 Ariel KH
1948 Ariel 4G with 1920's Ariel Sidecar/Triumph Chassis
AOMCC Twin Spares Organiser
Steven.Carter

Post by Steven.Carter »

The new reflector might make a big difference Rob
Steve
robjameson

Post by robjameson »

This arrived in the post today...
Attachments
image.jpg
Rob Jameson
AOMCC Member Number 4068
1957 Ariel VH
1954 Ariel KH
Steven.Carter

Post by Steven.Carter »

Looks good, my hid doesn't have a dip, how does the dip work with your setup?
I should have my LED working tonight, I've done all the wiring just have to put it all back together.

Steve
robjameson

Post by robjameson »

Allegedly it has a hi/low, so two live inputs and an earth, controlled off the dip switch as normal. I say allegedly as I haven't had chance to play with it yet and there is every chance there will be some bad language before the end of the weekend!
Rob Jameson
AOMCC Member Number 4068
1957 Ariel VH
1954 Ariel KH
Steven.Carter

Post by Steven.Carter »

There has been a little "colourful language" tonight in the shed, nothing would work, turned out I had a bad earth. All fixed now but my first ride in the dark with the new headlight will have to wait till tomorrow.
robjameson

Post by robjameson »

I've tried it on the loom, and I need to do some adjustment, it switches from hi/lo using a solenoid and that appears to be controlled by the earth so an element if buggering around is required, when I get the chance!
Rob Jameson
AOMCC Member Number 4068
1957 Ariel VH
1954 Ariel KH