K2F broken end cover

General electrical problems
duncan.galloway

K2F broken end cover

Post by duncan.galloway »

57 FH. Mag has been professionally reconditioned but the end cover is broken (so not watertight) and of different design to the parts lists where the circular cover has a tail off the side for the (LT?) lead.

Please can anyone advise if I can replace what I have and with what?

Many thanks, Duncan
Attachments
top edge broken off
top edge broken off
pete.collings
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by pete.collings »

It is possible to replace the black endcover, by dismantling the earthing post assembly.
It should be possible to buy a new black endcover, if you have problems I think I have a used one in a bit better condition than yours.

Alternatively, complete new screwon end cover assemblies are available (at a price, search round for the best value), they are frequently seen on EBay.
duncan.galloway

Pete,
Thank you for the advice, I will look for one. So it is supposed to look like this and not with the side exit as on the Draganfly parts list?
Regards, Duncan
pete.collings

Post by pete.collings »

Yes, it is supposed to look like that.

There are three different types of K2F endcaps that I know of.

The first, as on your bike, was mostly fitted to preunit Triumph twins, using an alloy screwon endcap with a clip on the bearing carrier to stop the endcap unscrewing. It has a top black piece, and an earthing brush fitted inside a removable centre piece.
The second is a onepiece unit with inbuilt earthing piece, linking to a side screw fitting for attaching the earthing lead. The endcap is secured by a clip screwed onto one of the bearing carrier mounts.
The third is a domed alloy part, with two opposite side holes for mounting on the bearing carrier. It has a springloaded cutout button for manual operation.

The parts can mostly be interchanged (although some Triumph and K2FC magnetos have larger mounting holes for the bearing carrier), so if the magneto has been replaced in the past, it could be different to the original setup.
duncan.galloway

Thank you.I have bought one from e-Bay for 32 quid, 20 cheaper than the others listed which look exactly the same, so I hope it's all good. Regards, Duncan
duncan.galloway

Just to let you know, it's all shiny and works perfectly. First kick all dat long until the clutch went! Joy - something else to investigate and fix!