New PB!

Bikes or not. Whatever
Wali.Badger.Taylor
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

New PB!

Post by Wali.Badger.Taylor »

I got a new personal best standing 1/4 mile at Westonzoyland today, 15.15 @ 83 mph with a headwind.
Photo is me with a cup I won last year but only picked up today.
Attachments
IMG_5185.JPG
Steven.Carter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: New PB!

Post by Steven.Carter »

Well done Wali
Bob.Murphy
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Bob.Murphy »

Excellent, well done.

I used to go to Westonzoyland in my youth (grew up, sort of, in the Taunton area) I have some old photos I took in the 60s. Its good to hear that the place is still operating.

I lived a mile from 'Merryfield' Airfield (the West Country is littered with old WWII fighter stations). We used to tune our bikes there and 'help out' with the many and varied sprint vehicles & dragsters that went there to practice. Happy days.

I once saw a guy totally destroy a four-valve Rudge motor in a drag bike - the conrod was hanging out the back of what was left of the barrel like a limp banana. Very sad :cry: .

Merryfield is now used for Helicopter Training, they fly over from RNAS Yeovilton. The village where my parents lived can get quite noisy (great for Aircraft spotters like me though :lol: ).

Keep the flag flying Wali.

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

Very nice Wali. The bike is starting to get that 'well loved' look.
Obviously the hard work is still going on.
14's next?
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
Wali.Badger.Taylor

Post by Wali.Badger.Taylor »

We are pushing for that 14, trouble at WZ is that we run into the wind. Next meeting I will run at 40psi front and back and see if that helps. The addition of a second float chamber has definitely helped with top end and consumption has dropped to less than 4 mpg.

Bob, I would love to see some of your old WZ pictures!
Bob.Murphy

Post by Bob.Murphy »

Wali.Badger.Taylor wrote: Bob, I would love to see some of your old WZ pictures!
Ah . . I may have had a 'Senior Moment' :oops: . I was thinking about that meeting this afternoon and realised it might have been at Dunkerswell rather than Westonzoyland. It was a long time ago.

Also, it was a car meeting (although a couple of mates and I went there on our bikes). I'll see if I can find the negatives and scan them in. The pictures won't be good - I didn't have a very good camera back then :D .

Watch this space.

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

Wali.Badger.Taylor wrote:The addition of a second float chamber has definitely helped with top end and consumption
We used a dummy floatchamber on the other side, if you're sprinting or braking in the race the petrol is pressed against the floatchamber wall pressing the float up and so giving a shortage.
We also had the floatchamber with rubber connections against vibration (foaming).
barry.swanson
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by barry.swanson »

..onya Wali.