Centre stand return springing - foot assistance or not.

Singles, twins and fours.
jj.palmer
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Centre stand return springing - foot assistance or not.

Post by jj.palmer »

Hi
NH 350 cc
When moving the bike off the centre stand the stand does not automatically swing to its "up" position, you have to lift it slightly with your foot so that the two return springs become active and then it returns to its "up" position. I am assuming that initially it moves to a position where the two springs are neutral, they neither want to move it up or down.
Is this the design intent and should you have to do this foot assistance or should it automatically move to its "up" position with spring assistance only. If it should have to move automatically to its "up" position does this mean that the spring attachment position to the stand has got to be slightly moved.

Regards
John Palmer
Steven.Carter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Steven.Carter »

Mine does that a bit, but my springs have weakened a bit and also winter weather doesn't help much. My side stand became very stiff til I gave it a good grease.
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

A careful examination will show whether it has an overcentre action or no. It would be easier to use if it did. It might have worn stops. Nev
jj.palmer

Re: Centre stand return springing - foot assistance or not.

Post by jj.palmer »

Hi
Thanks for your information, it may be a combination of both wear and the weakening of the springs although once it is over the neutral position it moves quite rapidly. I may eventually look at altering the spring connection position on the actual stand to compensate for any wear. I have a more pressing problem at the moment regarding the oil seal between the magneto and the timing chain case, see my next post.

Thanks again
John Palmer
steve.clarke

Post by steve.clarke »

Hello
I tried both my 57's NH and VH they both have new C stands springs and pins with no perceptable hole wear on the lugs, they both do the same, the side stand which is new old stock with a Draganfly spring on the other hand comes back like a snapping Croc and trys to take your foot off, bit like Arkwrights Till, still the easist centre stand to get the bike onto I have ever used though.
Enjoy the bikes quirks, Cheers Steve.
57VH 58VH 56HS IN A 58FH Frame, mortal remains of a 57NH 1999 FZS 600
jj.palmer

Re: Centre stand return springing - foot assistance or not.

Post by jj.palmer »

011.JPG
009.JPG
Hi
Just as a follow on, the centre stand now moves to the "Up" position under its own spring tension, to achieve this I have moved the spring attachment position on the stand and given the springs more tension, see photo's.

Regards
John Palmer