Front wheel spindle - Extraction

Malcolm.White

Front wheel spindle - Extraction

Post by Malcolm.White »

1962 Ariel Arrow

I have as yet been unable to remove the front wheel spindle and wheel from the forks. The pinch bolt on the nearside fork leg is released and there is movement of the leg along the spindle. The wheel rotates on the bearings and the brake plate revolves on the spindle. Which seems to indicate that the spindle is only held in the offside fork leg. However, a large hammer and aluminium drift have not been able to shift it more than 1/16 th of an inch. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks and regards,

Malcolm
Roger James
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by Roger James »

Hello Malcolm,
If the spindle hasnt been removed for many years its probably a bit of corrosion thats stopping the spindle from being extracted, from perhaps the two wheel bearings or some dirt or old grease around the bush in the brake plate or steel top hat bush, thats all it needs sometimes to stop that spindle coming out, you've released the nut on the pinch bolt on the nearside however sometimes I've had to put the flat blade of a screwdriver into the slot and tap the driver with a hammer to open it up a fraction to totally ensure its not still gripping the spindle, you dont mention it but assume youve removed the nut from the offside of the spindle as you mention you've tried drifting the spindle out which is about all you can do now, using the workshop extractor tool on the nearside isnt going to get that spindle out, What you need to do is somehow put a good solid support on the side of the forks on the nearside whilst you drift the spindle out with drift and hammer, whats happening is that when you hit the drift with the hammer all the force is simply going through the spindle and out the other end unless you can put something solid on the outside of the forks on the nearside you wont get the forces through hitting the drift with the hammer having any impact on moving the spindle, its just venting out through the nearside. if you cant get the forks up close to the garage wall try a good stout piece of timber between forks and wall allowing space for the spindle to come out, then use the hammer and drift.
All the best. Roger
Malcolm.White

Re: Front wheel spindle - Extraction

Post by Malcolm.White »

Hi Roger,
I've done much of what you suggested, but just wished to check that I hadn't overlooked something silly before I applied the force of a larger hammer. ;)
Best regards,
Malcolm