Singles, twins and fours.
jj.palmer
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Kick start return spring fitting

Post by jj.palmer »

Hi,
NH 350cc 1955.
I am nearing the end of rebuilding the GB gearbox fitted to the above machine, all in good condition, just wanted a new bearing to the main shaft at the kick start mechanism end.

I am now at the point of fitting the kick start return spring, knowing that the inner spring anchor, the bent bit in the middle of the spring, fits to the gear box middle case via the kick start quadrant and the outer spring anchor, the bent bit at the outside of the spring, fits to the gear box outer case, all whilst having to hold the spring in tension I am expecting to lose both temper and fingers. Plus, if the spring tension is not correct I will have to repeat this all over again, my fault, I did not record the inner spring anchor position to the kick start quadrant at strip down.

Please, is there an easy way of fitting the spring ??????

My own thoughts on a solution is to anchor the outer spring anchor to the kick start quadrant "stop boss", the lump of metal in the middle case, by drilling and tapping a hole in the "stop boss" and using a screw as the anchor point. The spring could then be fitted in its entirety to the middle case prior to fitting the outer case. I'm sure I am not the first person to think of this, as it been done before, is it feasible, have I missed something.
Your advice and help would be very much appreciated.
Regards
John Palmer.
Steven.Carter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Steven.Carter »

Fit the kick starter on the spline and wind up the tension then fit everything onto the gearbox, even the gear lever is left attached to the outer cover. Don't forget the bit the leaver inside pushes against to release the clutch, don't ask me how I know :oops: If you don't live too far from me I'd give you a hand,
Good luck. Steve
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

IF you give it too much tension it will break the spring. Not enough and it will be obvious. I usually set it up without the case there at all and (just the shaft K/S arm and spring) get the indication of the right tension by trial and error and remember the position. Nev
Vincent.vanGinneke

Re: Kick start return spring fitting

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Hello John,
First you fit the kickstart assembly to the case, I found that the position of the inner tag on the 'teeth' does not really matter.
Wind up the spring by turning the kickstarter until you think it's enough.
Then fit a longer screw in the upper hole of the clutch arm adjusting cap like on the picture, this prevents the kickstarter from unwinding.
Now you have your hands free for doing other things (drink coffee, put up new year centrefolds, etc)
While fitting the outer case to the inner case you have to wiggle a bit to get the teeth to line up, the teeth hang down and the half round gap on the left hand side fits against the round aluminium boss on the inner case.
If you have the box in a vice you can look from all sides in between the cases to see what your'e doing, on the bike it's a bit more difficult to get a good look.
After doing up all casescrews you can readjust the position of the kickstartlever on it's shaft to the angle you want it to have on the bike.

Kopie van Tip 2 kickstartveer (1).jpg
Steven.Carter

Post by Steven.Carter »

Vincent.vanGinneke wrote: Then fit a longer screw in the upper hole of the clutch arm adjusting cap like on the picture, this prevents the kickstarter from unwinding.
Now you have your hands free for doing other things (drink coffee, put up new year centrefolds, etc)

Kopie van Tip 2 kickstartveer (1).jpg
That's a great way of doing it Vincent,
Steve
jj.palmer

Post by jj.palmer »

Hi, again
Thanks everyone for your help and advice, you make it sound so easy, the phrase comes to mind "Why didn't I think of that".
With all that in mind I will now confidently go and complete the task.
Steve, thanks for your personal assistance but I'm approx. 170 miles away in Denby Village, Derbyshire about 10 miles north of Derby.

With regards and a happy new year to you all,
John Palmer.
robjameson
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by robjameson »

If you have any issues let me know I'll take up Steve's offer of help as I'm only in littleover and have friends in denby.

Vincent, that is a cracking idea!
Rob Jameson
AOMCC Member Number 4068
1957 Ariel VH
1954 Ariel KH
1948 Ariel 4G with 1920's Ariel Sidecar/Triumph Chassis
AOMCC Twin Spares Organiser
jj.palmer

Post by jj.palmer »

001.JPG
Hi
Thanks Rob for your offer but I followed Vincents method and with a bit of wiggling I got the spring fitted OK, all fingers intact.

Afterwards out of curiosity rather than need and just for the sake of one small tapped hole I fitted it in its entirety to the middle case, this also worked OK. The spring was very easy to fit in that you can see everything you are doing and also you can ensure that the spring stays concentric to the quadrant spindle as it is wound up into tension.
Regards
John Palmer