The 1905 Ariel - J.A.P. racer

adrie.degraaff
Holder of a Golden Anorak

The 1905 Ariel - J.A.P. racer

Post by adrie.degraaff »

It's unlikely that I will find a 5 HP road engine, even more that I'll find a 6 HP racing engine and close to imposible to find the 1904 engine Mr. John Campbell used, it's differend from all others, I have never seen one in modern days.

So I am going to make the engine aswell, it started with some luck, finding the conrods on ebay, the pistons on ower jumble for 5 euro each and the pictures wich I bought of "The classic motorcycle" where exact 10:1 scale.

The engine will be 70 bore and 95 stroke making the 730cc, yes I will use Ariel 500cc flywheels.

The drawing is made on the same white hardboard as the tricycle, I am keeping you posted just in case you have to finish it.
The paddle bracket casting will come from an ordenairy licht bicycle as Ariel used to.
Attachments
1905 Ariel - JAP 002.JPG
1905 Ariel - JAP 003.JPG
Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: The 1905 Ariel - J.A.P. racer

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Last time you only had the engine, now it's down to only conrods.........
Steven.Carter

Post by Steven.Carter »

Vincent.vanGinneke wrote:Last time you only had the engine, now it's down to only conrods.........
and a picture! I'm impressed.
Bob.Murphy

Post by Bob.Murphy »

Awesome :o . It puts my restoration projects into feeble perspective.

I have at least got a frame, most of the engine, a damaged gearbox and a couple of hubs.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: .

This will be a very interesting thread 8-) .

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH
lukas.brodacky

Post by lukas.brodacky »

Hello Here is some inspiration from the similar JAP motorcycle project of my friend Pavel Malaník from Czech Republic.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 664&type=1

Lukas
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

Wow..
Both the new work, and the original bike are amazing.
What about the rider..
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

brenton.roy wrote:What about the rider..
If you mean Mr. John Campbell of Greenock, he was just a man with lots of luck, I have the full story of the race, it was planned on the large (dirt) car circuit strarting 4.00 AM on June 21, 1905, the day before was the car race in the rain making the track useless for the motorcycles so they started 1 hour later (5.00 am) on the small (dirt) cicuit.

The owner of the Ariel-JAP was Mr. Hay of Greenock who ordered a 10 kilo (22 LB) frame to a JAP engine he (already?) had, there is a good chance that they first tried it in a lichweight Ariel frame and could not get it down to 10 kilo, he must have had an Ariel connection as reason to go to Ariel, he could have a complete Matchless with the latest 1905 JAP 6HP engine being favorits for the race, that's why I think he already had the 1904 engine.

Mr. Campbell's racer cought fire during the race wich stopt with his coat, the hard wind had blown a (loose ?) flag on him riding at full speed, broke a lever while taking it off him.
The race ending at 8.00 am given him the longest distance riden.

The Ariel factory came with a road going version 2 months later.

The first International race was held in Dourdan France in 1904, they had to come up with savety rules so they came with 50 kilo max. for the dry machine without battery or 55kilo having a magneto ignition.
The English riders didn't do well so that's why the 1905 selection race on Man, the only place without speed limits.

The 1905 race in Dourdan was bad for Mr. Campbell, there where horseshoe nails on the track given 34 leaks exept to the winner, (did ho know where the nails where?).
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

For 1907 England made theire own rules 250cc for the lightweights and 500cc for the heavy, there was a rich man giving a big trofy for the tourists? (TT).
Vincent.vanGinneke

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

there where horseshoe nails on the track given 34 leaks exept to the winner, (did ho know where the nails where?).

As the winner was probably up front, he must have had a bag of nails with him......
Lance Armstrong is a loser !
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

Sometimes during a surge you stumble on to something.

The owner of the 1905 racer was Mr. A.A. Hay from (Greenock?) Scotland, looking in to him I found a famely connection (son?) with colonel Philip A. Hay who went to India and after him (son) Barry A. Hay, singer in "Golden earring" went to The Netherlands, now living on Curasau.

I know that Barry loves motorcycles and would like to know that the Ariel racer of his famely has won the first motorcyclerace on the Isle of Man but how do you contact such man?