Arrow project

MarkGiblin

Arrow project

Post by MarkGiblin »

First off hello to all, it’s my first post so please be gentle 8-). Some of you may have read a few of my posts on the yahoo Ariel user group but I'm finding it very difficult to navigate (I’m rubbish with computers!). It has been useful though as it was on there that I found my arrow, it’s about 90% built and is all new or recon. The previous owner was planning on using it as a track day tool but lost interest due to a Ducati project. My plan is to make it into a nice cafe racer(ish) road going arrow. I have to admit to knowing very little about Arrows/Leaders although I do know my way around a 2 stroke, I’ve a 350lc fitted with a YPVS lump and an RGV250 in the garage to keep it company but I'm confident I can find lots of daft things to ask. Here it is, so let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Mark
john.nash
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Arrow project

Post by john.nash »

I'm with you on the Yahoo stuff .. and I am supposedly good with that sort of stuff !
At some point they'll take down their "free groups" like MSN did, a few years back.

I find these things strangely alluring .. you gonna mess with it or just get it back on the road ?
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
adrie.degraaff

Re: Arrow project

Post by adrie.degraaff »

I think the frontforks are dangerously weekened, if you make the engine faster than make the front stronger.
MarkGiblin

Post by MarkGiblin »

Thanks for the comments, I'm going to play with it a little to try to make it into an interesting road bike. The forks do look weaker but it is a tried and tested racing modification. Although I'm aware that race stuff is not always transferable to road use but I do have the spare forks shown in the picture.

Mark
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

Welcome to our forum Mark.
Nice bike. As with John, I find them interesting.
Yours looks like it could be a lot of fun, even with lights.
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
MarkGiblin

Post by MarkGiblin »

Cheers Roy, they are an oddity and that's what I like about it. Never owned anything this old before, everything else in the garage is 70's, 80's or 90's so it won't be without challenge. Very few imperial spanners in my tool kit and I can guarantee there won't be a single nut or bolt in my tubs that will fit anything.

Mark
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

If you haven't run a cast iron cylinder on a two stroke, have piston clearances a little bigger than on the RDLC. Nev
MarkGiblin

Post by MarkGiblin »

Hi Nev, your right I've not but all the engine work was done by Ron at fahron so should be right. I'm collecting parts to build a twin carb motor and top of the list is alloy cylinder's but that's a long way off.

Mark
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

I managed to get a YDS5 to go fast. Someone mucked the alloy barrells up and I resleeved them ( a big job) but it eventually went as good is any on a set of earlier iron cylinders that I used because they were in good nick. the iron is harder as it chills a bit when cast. When the alloy is poured originally around the iron sleeves it softens the iron and they stay somewhat soft and wear more. Nev
MarkGiblin

Post by MarkGiblin »

Nev, as far as Im aware the alloy arrow cylinders are cast as blanks then bored and a sleave pressed in but as I've not seen any I cant confirm. I would tlike to try alloy liners with a nikasil coating to bring things a little up to date.

Mark