Rejuvenating dried out out crank seals

garryeyles

Rejuvenating dried out out crank seals

Post by garryeyles »

Hi Guys,

The crankshaft seals in my Arrow are leaking. Dried out and cracked perhaps? Anyhow, I have new seals ordered but in the meantime have decided to conduct a small experiment. There are numerous products on the market that are added to engine oil and are supposed to rejuvenate dried out and/or cracked seals. I have bought one of these products and have put it in a spray bottle mixed with two stroke fuel/oil mixture. With the motor running at idle I have sprayed this mixture into the intake of the motor. Theoretically, if the seals are not too bad this should (perhaps?) make some improvement. Will let you know how this all works out.

Garry from Oz
garryeyles

Re: Rejuvenating dried out out crank seals

Post by garryeyles »

Hi Guys,

Update. Bike now starts first kick cold or hot - previously a bit of a mixed bag. Mostly second or third kick cold and sometimes many kicks hot although sometimes not at all. Smoke almost now equal from each exhaust - previously heaps more smoke from the left hand side. Right side exhaust pressure now much closer to right hand side - previously much less and prone to "four stroking" at idle. No other changes made apart from the spraying of the so called 'seal rejuvenator' mixed with two stroke fuel into the intake at idle. This could all be a very short term fix or it could stand the test of time? Time will tell. However, while ever the bike runs this well I certainly don't intend to bother replacing the crankshaft seals. I am sure the poo fairy will eventually make an unexpected visit!!!

Cheers
Garry
Eero.Korhonen
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Eero.Korhonen »

Hi Garry,
Can you tell us name of the stuff you used?
I think people here have two strokers and would be interested.
Br, Eero
Ariel VH 1954, IZH 350 1962, H-D Sportster Hugger 1992, AOMCC Member 133
garryeyles

Post by garryeyles »

Eero,

The stuff I used was called Nulon "stop leak". There are lots of similar products that claim to do exactly the same thing which is soften and expand seals which leads to a reduction in leaks. What I have done is put the stuff into a motor which needed new seals and although there have been some positive outcome in the short term I have no idea if it will be a reasonable fix in the medium to long term. I would certainly not recommend putting it into a motor with good seals. Anyway, I intend to keep going with this and will definitely report results on this forum.

Cheers
Garry
Eero.Korhonen

Post by Eero.Korhonen »

Ok thanks. I think this Nulon is not sold here Europe,
but I think STP and Valvoline has same kind of products.
Cheers, Eero
Ariel VH 1954, IZH 350 1962, H-D Sportster Hugger 1992, AOMCC Member 133
garryeyles

Post by garryeyles »

Hi Guys,

Don't bother with this it is a waste of money and time. I actually soaked a dried out seal in this stuff for almost a week. No difference in flexibility at all. The bike runs as before, easy to start cold and very difficult when hot. My initial findings of an improvement have not proven to be a long term success.

Cheers
Garry
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

If it works magic It would have to be MAGIC.. Nev
keith.mettam
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by keith.mettam »

Garry,
There are no short cuts, if the crank seals are knackered the only cure is new seals.
Good luck with it.
Keith.
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

Never owned an Ariel 2 stroke but have raced 2 strokes, so I would like to know are there dubbel flap seals on both sides on Ariel and if not, do you use those now?
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

You will be in a flap if they don't seal. The middle seals are hard to get at. Nev