MK 2 Ariel Leader

bh.sprint
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

MK 2 Ariel Leader

Post by bh.sprint »

This is my progress so far in putting together the MK 2 Leader, I bought a picture of it at one of the Annual Rallies and decided to have a go.
One has been made so far , mine is the second one and there is another being worked on at the moment.

Brian.H.
Attachments
DSC02825.JPG
bh.sprint

Re: MK 2 Ariel Leader

Post by bh.sprint »

The rear section for the MK 2 Leader needed quite a lot of work, although it appeared in reasonable condition until I started taking all the filler off. Its now ready for priming and filling in of some of the holes left after welding plates in place
The other items, 3 Arrow carriers and a clutch tool, have just been tack welded ready for taking to the proper welder.
Attachments
DSC02831.JPG
bh.sprint

Post by bh.sprint »

The MK 2 Leader, a bit nearer to completion. A few electrical items and the front wheel/mudguard/fairing screen and smaller items to sort out.
Attachments
DSC02965.JPG
brenton.roy
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by brenton.roy »

That's awesome!
Thanks for the photo's. Will it be three colours?
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
bh.sprint

Post by bh.sprint »

Hi Roy,

The side panels are in fibre glass with a white gell coat. I will eventually need to paint them ( I intend to paint them silver but may change my mind if it does not look right ) but I'm trying to get all the other bits done before finishing some of the cosmetic jobs. The engine works out at 266 cc capacity and I'm hoping it has a bit more torque on the hills around Sheffield.

Brian.H.
Attachments
DSC02966.JPG
steve.clarke

Post by steve.clarke »

Hello Brian
That's an interesting take on a leader, the fairing gives it a modern lift, what has been done to the engine any mods or just a rebore? should sound great going over snake pass, never heard of a mk2 leader got any pics? Be interesting to see this one completed, do you intend to use it for long distance work?
Great stuff cheers Steve
57VH 58VH 56HS IN A 58FH Frame, mortal remains of a 57NH 1999 FZS 600
bh.sprint

Post by bh.sprint »

Hi Steve,

The MK 2 was only ever a drawing by the Ariel drawing office and I bought a copy of it at an annual rally some years ago.
One has been made already but was sold to someone else who may or may not keep it in it's present form.

This one has Honda pistons and alloy barrels with a longer co-rod ( modern type )and an extra transfer port each side, which should give a bit more power lower in the rev range, I hope. It works out at 266cc ,using the TSX Honda pistons. Fahron did the machining, I supplied the alloy castings and machined the threads in the exhaust port

I'm hoping to use this Leader to supplement the other Leader for annual rallies and Staffords show etc.

Attached a copy of the original picture and the front of the MK2 - I'm working on the mud guard.
Brian.H.
Attachments
mk 11 leader.jpg
DSC02967.JPG
steve.clarke

Post by steve.clarke »

Hello Brian
Thanks, just getting into the mysteries of the 2 Stroke myself doing a TZR 125 for someone, I shall watch the progress with interest.
Cheers Steve
steve.clarke

Post by steve.clarke »

Hello Brian
Thanks, just getting into the mysteries of the 2 Stroke myself doing a TZR 125 for someone, I shall watch the progress with interest.
Cheers Steve
Roger James
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by Roger James »

Hello Steve,
I intend to build a MK2 Leader but so far have only got as far as mocking one up in the metal and fibreglass from spare parts but it at least gives me some idea of what it would look like.
The attached photo is of that mock up. The fairing used by Brian is the Avon Avonaire but mine is different and of unknown make but I like it and it allows the side panels to be fitted without any further modifications.
Roger
Attachments
Leader MK2 mock up
Leader MK2 mock up