Ariel Arrow mains and seals

garryeyles

Ariel Arrow mains and seals

Post by garryeyles »

Hi All,

I am a newbie from Australia. Just purchased an Arrow that will need new main bearings and crankshaft seals. Could someone please advise me of what brand and type of seals and crankshaft bearings I need. Also any tips on removing the crankshaft would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Garry from Oz :D
Roger James
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by Roger James »

Hello Garry,
Congratulations on becoming the owner of the Arrow.
Regarding your questions, its not going to be easy to answer in one email but here goes to set you on your way. Presuming you've not owned a Leader or Arrow before you might not be aware that Ariel published an excellent workshop manual for these machines, very, very detailed text with plenty of photographs, a must if you are going to totally strip the engine, originals pop up on ebay from time to time and they have been transferred onto disc that can be purchased, others here in the U.K. can supply reprints at cost and extra cost re the postage.
Regarding bearings for the crankshaft - these are 6205 bearings commonly used in a whole variety of engines and readily available, you should be able to get hold of them in Australia, that said and it doesnt specify them in the workshop manual but most owners fit 6205C3 bearings that have a little bit of extra clearance to avoid overcrowding but if you are only going to tootle around then 6205's will be o.k.to use.
Seals are all readily available here in the U.K. at least, you can buy a complete set for the engine off ebay which might be your best bet, item number 300875741482 supplied by Millhouse motorcycles info@millhousemotorcycles.co.uk.
When first produced in 1958 Ariel fitted two seals back to back in the centre later changing them to a single double lipped seal, these are still around but I wouldnt fit them as we are now finding that they have deteriorated over the years and either crack or go mushy, try to buy new stock if you can and fit two seals back to back as done in the early years. The single double lipped seal can be difficult to get out of the crankcase, the single seals fited back to back come out easier when needed to be replaced. .
Getting the crank out is easy if you have the right tools, you will definately need a puller kit to get the two side doors off and a long 3/8 allen key that slides down the hollow crankshaft to undoe the bolt in the centre to undoe the two crank halves, the allen key is used in conjunction with a locating plate and bar to lock the flywheels to undo the centre bolt that is torqued up so you might need a long handled torque wrench and be prepared for it to come undone with a bit of a bang (not always) the bolt will then go tight again but keep turning the allen key as its drawing the two crank halves apart, these tools are readily available to buy in the U.K but going to be expensive for you if just doing the job once, there other Leader/Arrow owners in Aus it might be possible to borrow a set of workshop tools, if not I can point you in the right direction to buy a remanufactured locking plate and bar from Ariel Club member Brian Hinchliffe, dont know whether he does th puller kits, if not then probably Draganfly can supply them.
All for now. Roger
john.nash
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Ariel Arrow mains and seals

Post by john.nash »

John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
garryeyles

Post by garryeyles »

Roger,

Thanks for the info. I can acquire the seals and bearings easily and cheaply in Australia, just needed the numbers and type which you have provided. Have already purchased a copy of the original Manuel and puller for the end covers and am waiting for these to arrive. The locking bar and plate I do not have and will need to get. I do not fully understand the process you describe in splitting the crankshaft but suspect I will once I see the locking bar and plate. I would appreciate you heading me in the right direction in acquiring these two tools.

Regards
Garry from Oz
Roger James

Post by Roger James »

Garry,
Very pleased to learn that you've purchased a Manual and end cover puller kit, once you have read the manual whatever I mentioned in my earlier message will fit into place.
Have sent an email to Brian who makes the locking plate and bar to see whether he has any left for sale, will get back to you on that in due course.
Here are some sizes of crank seals for you to use when ordering locally Centre seal 212 137 37 End cover seal 175 100 25 You will need two of each for one engine crankshaft rebuild.
Have taken these numbers off the side of some new seals I've got on the shelf ready to use in my next engine rebuild, any problems get back to me.
All the best Roger.
garryeyles

Post by garryeyles »

Roger,

Once again, thanks for the info and advice and for investigating the availability of the special tools.

Regards
Garry
Roger James

Post by Roger James »

Garry,
Good news, Brian has one of his flat type locating plates and locking bars ready for sale at £15 plus postage.
Ariel made circular caste type locating plates, Brian makes these also but at the moment he only has one as produced by the Foundry and has yet to be machined up, the round type cost £35 plus postage but you will find the cheaper flat type does the job just as well as the round type.
Have a look on Brians Website www.arielbikes.co.uk where you will see the locating plate and bar plus other spares he makes such as petrol taps etc.
As it happens there is one of Brians flat type locating plates and clutch tools for sale on the UK ebay site item number 130995844202 but bidding is already up to £24 so unless you want the other bits included you might as well get it direct from Brian, however you might still want to have a look a t the listing as the seller has included a picture of the round type locating plate on the side of the engine taken from the workshop manual, just to give you an idea of how it fits pending arrival of your workshop manual.
There is also an almost complete workshop tool kit for sale on ebay this week, that in itself is very rare, they dont turn up that often, item number 300971327887. Have a look at what is included especially the very long bolt, spacers, washers used for extracting and fitting the seals and bearings that will give you some idea to make these parts up out of suitable nuts, bolts, washers etc.
All for now, keep asking questions if you get stuck and I'll do my best to help you out with advice.
Roger
garryeyles

Post by garryeyles »

Roger,

Thanks again for the info and link to 'Ariel Bikes'. I have contacted Brian and ordered the pin and plate.

Regards
Garry
bh.sprint
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by bh.sprint »

Hello Garry,

I've sent a reply but its just shown up as a message not delivered so I've added the information as an attachment on this site.

Brian.H. ( arielbikes )
Attachments
I have a pay pal account attached to my personal e.docx
(10.57 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

Hi Brian,
The way the Personal Message system works is that your message sits in your outbox until the person at the other end logs in to the forum and opens it. Because of this, it can look like it's not been delivered.
The person at the other end should also get an email to say there is a message in their inbox.
Brenton
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.