Flat Tyre

Bikes or not. Whatever
Steven.Carter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Flat Tyre

Post by Steven.Carter »

Hi all

I was heading up to Birmingham to call in at the Selly Oak branch meeting as i had a job the next day in Stafford but as I was doing 60mph near junction 10 on the M40 my rear tyre let go. My seat has bite marks in it! And watch for brown stains in the road. It frightened me big time.
When I finally got the bike pulled over and had my bike on the stand my rear tyre was stationary, but the wheel was still spinning on tickover!

I was wondering if I could use something in the tyre to at least slow down any puncture. I did think that I was going to fall off, anyway I got recovered home no problem.

Steve
Wali.Badger.Taylor
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: Flat Tyre

Post by Wali.Badger.Taylor »

Sorry you never made it to us in Selly Oak Steve. I have used a product called Slimemake sure you get the one for tubed tyres.
I changed a tyre and found evidence of three punctures but I had never delated.
Wali T
Steven.Carter

Post by Steven.Carter »

I shall give that stuff a try, thanks

Steve
Wali.Badger.Taylor

Post by Wali.Badger.Taylor »

It is a sloppy goo containing tiny chopped fibers, it is the fibers that initially seal the puncture by forming a plug and the goo then sets to fully seal the hole. The evidence I saw on my tube was just localised areas of set goo, it does not act like the old type sealants (the ones that did not actually work) and fill the entire tyre with snot that is the devil to clean out.
steve.whittaker

Post by steve.whittaker »

I had a similar thing happen to me coming back from the LDR 3 years ago, but mine was a front tyre blow out, luckily I was only doing 40 at the time on a straight section of dual carriage way, how I managed to stop on I don't know!
Regarding tyre sealants ceck out puncture safe, www.puncturesafe.com I haven't got round to using it on my bike yet but I did my Mothers mobility scooter tyres with it and it works brilliantly, prior to using it I was getting called out on almost a weekly basis to repair punctures caused by thorns! she hasn't had a puncture since.

Steve.
Steven.Carter

Post by Steven.Carter »

I have fitted new Mitas tyres front and rear with new tubes (£95.00) but will certainly get some stuff for the tubes as soon as possible as I would hate to suffer a front blow out as you did Steve. The back one was bad enough.
The old rear tube had the valve stem ripped clean out.
I struggled with the french chalk supplied but then reached for a can of mr sheen, all then was well.
My wife thought I looked as though I had done a couple of rounds with Mike Tyson after fitting them!

Steve

Steve
pete.collings
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by pete.collings »

Regarding using french chalk to fit/refit a tyre and tube, a substitute that is much easier to obtain in talcum powder, preferably the baby type as it doesn't have any additives/scent.
Used liberally inside the tyre ( shake in and rotate the tyre until the inside is coated) and rub into the beading, I have found it make fitting easier and speeds up bedding in the tyre to the rim, especially if you only have a foot pump to pump up the tyre (like me!). I try to get the tyre as high a pressure as possible (up to twice operating pressure if possible), and then reduce the pressure to the correct setting.

Incidentally, talc is also useful for aiding the feeding of electical cable through plastic ducting/tubing, if you are making your own wiring harness parts. The electrician who rewired my house was going to use washing up liquid!!

Pete
Steven.Carter

Post by Steven.Carter »

Just had a run up the M3 to Fleet on a job, no problem, everything felt just fine on the new tyres. Nerver thought of using talcum powder Pete, I hope that it will be along time before I get the chance.

Steve