Aus Black Ariel rally

Anything about Ariels
brenton.roy
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Aus Black Ariel rally

Post by brenton.roy »

I'm off on Monday to Grafton in New South Wales for a visit with some other '25 to '30 Ariel's.
Having never seen another one up close, I can't wait.
I'm going with a mate, Simon, who is riding my VH.
Grafton is just under 2000km from home. We're going up through Broken Hill and Cobar - the road I think Nev travelled on his way back from Perth.
We did have a ute with us - but found out today that the driver can't go, so it's a big repack for minimum tools and spares to keep the bikes on the road, sleeping gear etc.. This will have to include a petrol tin as I don't think the Model C will make the 260km from Wilcannia to Cobar.
The new 19t drive sprocket should give me a reasonable cruising speed of 80 or 85 kph, which is far more practical for this trip, but not so flexible for hilly country.
I'll try to post some photo's and video along the way, as this is through some interesting country - some of it hit twice with the ugly stick, but ending in beautiful northern NSW.
Brenton
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
dave.owen

Re: Aus Black Ariel rally

Post by dave.owen »

At a push I can get 160kms on my model C with a tank full of fuel,

so a petrol can is a great idea

Dave
AOMCC Treasurer
david.anderson

Post by david.anderson »

Brenton
Have a good safe trip. Be on the lookout for kangaroos at either end of the day as they are in plague proportions through NSW. Also look out for the dead ones that are mowed down by the trucks and left on the road to create motorcycle hazards. Sometimes there are 7 or 8 together. And the road trains in western NSW get along at 110kph. Can be scary when they go by. Hope you enjoy your trip. Maybe we will catch up at the Mt Gambier rally next march.
David
Steven.Carter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Steven.Carter »

Take care Brenton

Steve
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

I have done a preview on streetview up to the caltex petrolstation in Grafton, that's some heavy trip, not much innertires along the road.
keith.hodgenia
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by keith.hodgenia »

Forget about golden anoraks, after this trip you deserve a cape and exterior underpants! Good luck.
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

It's OK till you get to Dubbo then the traffic starts. We went to Orange. You will be turning off before then, maybe through Gunnedah.? Nev
Steven.Carter

Re:

Post by Steven.Carter »

nevhunter wrote:It's OK till you get to Dubbo then the traffic starts. We went to Orange. You will be turning off before then, maybe through Gunnedah.? Nev
You made that up :D.

Don't forget to turn right when you get to Slough
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

Thanks all. Steve, I think the black Ariel boat was a little later model than mine?
I'm deliberately not going via Dubbo to reduce the number of trucks, but this might be dreaming. Yep, Nyngan, Coonabarabran - across and up. I think we might have already done this one, but yes we have fun town names. I think we go through Cockburn, near Broken Hill.
David, thanks for the encouraging words! I haven't got enough lights to ride much into dusk, and I'm too clapped out for really early mornings, so hopefully the roos will be ok.
Adrie, after years in your beautiful green Netherlands, I think the bike will be in culture shock..
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
Paul Slootheer
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by Paul Slootheer »

Brenton, all the best on your trip. Be safe! Would be realy nice to see some pictures, or maybe a video of the old beast(s)...

Cheers, Paul