leader coil position

lsweetman

leader coil position

Post by lsweetman »

Hi
Im new to this site so Hello to all,i need bit of info,where are the coils positioned on a leader,when i put in tank into frame it covers the 4 holes that i thought
were for coils.any help would be great
Thanks
Liam
bh.sprint
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: leader coil position

Post by bh.sprint »

Hello,

Re the position of the coils on the Leader. With the larger tank fitted the coils were moved to the front of the frame. Still inside the frame but above the diamond shaped hatch. The fixing bolt/screw heads are visible inside the parcel locker. Fitting the coils in place is not very easy. When the coils are fitted it is just possible to see the HT leads as they leave the coil end through the diamond shaped hatch.

Regards Brian.H.
lsweetman

Post by lsweetman »

Thanks very much
Roger James
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by Roger James »

Liam,
When the Leader was launched in July 58 they were fitted with a small 2 gallon fuel tank and the two coils were bolted inside the frame on the bottom section just in front of the fuel tank with the HT leads exiting through holes in the bottom of the frame again just in front of the tank. Later on in production I think in 1960 the coils were moved and mounted to the upper part of the frame between headstock and the oval shaped access hole in frame, still inside the frame and quite difficult to access and to fit in place especially when a 3 gallon fuel tank is fitted, the H.T. cable holes drilled further up the bottom of the frame, this allowed the fitting of the 3 gallon fuel tank.
Basically it depends wether you have an early Leader frame or a late frame as to where the coils fit.
It is straight forward enough to take the early frame and re-drill the holes to fit the coils on the top and re-drill so the H.T. Leads exit the frame clear of the larger petrol tank if thats what you want to fit also as you dont get far on your travels with a 2 gallon tank fitted. I've done this a couple of times with early Leader frames, it does help of course to have a later frame handy to take measurements as to where you need to drill the various holes.
you are of course left with unwanted holes in the frame, I put rubber grommets in them.
hope this helps.

Roger
lsweetman

Post by lsweetman »

Thanks rodger.
I think i have an older frame and 3 gallon tank.
I will have to drill holes but no problem.