My Cammy Engine Blog

nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: My Cammy Engine Blog

Post by nevhunter »

Matchless Silver Hawk. Heavens you are a stickler for complexity. Skinny side by side conrods. I don't quite know whether these engines were actually well engineered. People used to suggest the Scotts were. I don't really agree but the perfect motorcycle has never been built and the challenge is half the fun. I was given a long ride on a Silk once and wouldn't say NO to having that bike. SQ 4's are smooth as the balance can be near perfect. As for fours I had a very early F/N once and have ridden a couple of them. Tiny little four with automatic inlet valves (atmospheric) first made in 1904 and built like a watch. I'm a bit of a bike nut (I guess). Could do worse things. Nev
paul.wirdnam
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by paul.wirdnam »

nevhunter wrote:Matchless Silver Hawk. Heavens you are a stickler for complexity.
I wouldn't ever buy a Silver Hawk again. It was a difficult and expensive restoration and it's not a particularly nice ride. Although I've thought about selling it several times, I can't quite bring myself to do it....
Paul
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

Bentley and Draper frame isn't it? that was the thing at the time. The Brough used it and the Vincent HRD also. They felt like it was broken in the middle. I wouldn't be in a rush to dispose of it. They are not real thick on the ground . Nev.
paul.wirdnam

Post by paul.wirdnam »

Cranks were sent off to AM Philpot in Luton a week ago today, so time to get everything else ready for when they come back --- I'd like to ride the bike again in September.

The valves, valve guides and seats were all in pretty good shape, and only needed a light grinding in with the fine paste...once all the carbon had been scrapped away.

The 4 new main bearings have arrived. Two needed to have slots cut in their outer races for the "H" pieces; what did we do before Dremels? ;) . The grit was thoroughly cleaned out after and the balls re-lubed.

Paul
chris.vredenbregt
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by chris.vredenbregt »

I suppose they did it before hardening without the balls in it ??? at least if it was standard...chris
black ariel model G special 1930 500 OHV
adrie.degraaff
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by adrie.degraaff »

chris.vredenbregt wrote:I suppose they did it before hardening without the balls in it ???
Don't think so, the "MV Augusta America" has break barings (broken after harding) with a clip to hold things togetter, the only way to get them in place.
paul.wirdnam

Post by paul.wirdnam »

We're now in October...and no sign of my cranks :cry:

So much for their 7-10 working days. :evil:
Paul
callumives

Post by callumives »

Hi Paul

Have thoroughly enjoyed reading your post, I have had no SQ4 experience (other than my Dad telling me about his '31? 500 OHC SQ4 he owned in the early 1950's) so this most revealing. Dig that crazy yet exquisite crank layout, wow, Edward Turner, what was that guy on? Do those overhung big ends really stay together? Amazing! Funnily enough it was your description of a tinkling noise at the start of the piece that caught my eye. I had a similar sound on my HT5 this year after putting it back on the road following a 42 year rest in a garage (well 4 garages to be exact), I tried all the super accurate tappet settings etc to no avail and put it down to light piston slap . . . WRONG! I was cruising down to Cropredy Festival in August when the bike lost power and lurched to a stop. Let it cool down and limped into Warwick sounding like a jack hammer, then stopped at garage, as did engine! The piston was perfect, the big end siezed solid! Lesson learned, small tinkle, check tappets . . . then immediately check big end!

Hope you cranks come soon!

Cal
paul.wirdnam

Post by paul.wirdnam »

paul.wirdnam wrote:Cranks were sent off to AM Philpot in Luton a week ago today, so time to get everything else ready for when they come back --- I'd like to ride the bike again in September.
I guess that will be September 2014 then..... :(
Paul
paul.wirdnam

Post by paul.wirdnam »

I get my cranks back from AM Philpot today...so it took a little longer than the quoted 7-10 working days. :roll:

I'm a little nervous about what they'll look like...... :!:
Paul