Pushing my Bike Home

alan.bedford

Pushing my Bike Home

Post by alan.bedford »

Thanks for previous info regarding cable routing etc every thing now fine clearly the restorer had no idea how to route things correctly - I also found he had omitted to replace the washer under swinging arm nut hence the slight play.

THAT said I could really do with some help regarding the newest problem

Bike starts first or second kick and runs fine not smokey and will cruise along nicely 50 -55mph (fitted with low compression heads). Compression is even on both cylinders around 80 psi 1st prod raising to 125 + My dilema is that I cannot trust ever getting home or where I am going....she runs fine for 20 - 30 minutes doesnt miss abeat and then when crusing along around the fifty mark I notice an increase in smoke from the exhausts - engine doesn't miss a beat, no misfires or the like and then just cuts and I coast to a halt.

Engine continues to kick over fine (no hint of partial siezure etc ) - I am running it on api grade two stroke oil about 40 to 1 mix - check plugs normal colour neither oiled or wet and sparking fine - fuel in carb which floods when tickled - fuel cap vent hole clear - try to restart either nothing or a half hearted fire on both cylinders smoke from exhaust but with no reaction to throttle whatsoever and then she just dies again........Push bike home or to safety!

Leave for 20 -30 minutes repeat above same results......following morning 1st / 2nd kick starts runs exactly the same runs for 12 miles stop at friends for half hour restarts about 5 / 6 kicks ride towards home and 10 miles later ditto the day before..........have just gone to bike3 days later 1st kick and she is ticking over nicely reacting fine to throttle and roars off up the road with no undue noise no smoke - BUT I DARE NOT GO ANYWHERE!

IDEAS AND SUGGESTIONS (I've already bought the matches)
jamesanthony

Post by jamesanthony »

Does she still have a healthy blue spark when she shuts down?
alan.bedford

Re: Pushing my Bike Home

Post by alan.bedford »

First off my apologies for duplicating this topic which in fact I placed as "Ariel Leader Engine Problems" listed on 24th May - I had looked on the site for any response and for whatever reason couldn't locate the topic, this coincided with me having just pushed her home so hence this thread........Sorry for the confusion....AND AS the earlier thread seems to be getting responses I will make further replies on "Ariel Leader Engine Problems"

Thanks to all that have been shedding light - I have struck the matches (Yet)

Alan