Rear suspension on Arrow

Arthur Freeman

Rear suspension on Arrow

Post by Arthur Freeman »

Hi All, I have a problem with my Arrow. Unless I corner very gingerly (which obviously takes away a lot of the fun) the centre stand catches on the ground - with a couple of obvious problems - it might catch hard and throw me off (and damage the bike!!), or it may break off the stand (again not a nice thought). Although I am some 80kgs weight, I would not expect to have this problem without a pillion passenger?.
With the Arrow and Leader on the centre stand, I have compared the distance between the rear swinging arm and the bottom of the mudguard (where the rear suspension unit passes) only to find that the Arrow has 2 cms less distance compared to the Leaders.

It would be nice to be able to buy some new suspension units - but that is probably just dreaming!. In case the damper part of the Arrow units has "disappeared", I have a set of Norton Commando shocks modified to fit an Arrow, but it will still need new springs.

So anyone got the original spring specifications so I can get some made up?.

Not being an expert I believe that my springs have lost some of their "spring", some of the rebound, and maybe even height (I will try to check these out when I strip the Arrow and compare with the Leaders).
Thanks in advance, Arthur
brenton.roy
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by brenton.roy »

Hi Arthur,
it may be possible to have your springs re "set" or tensioned.
The local spring works here in Adelaide do this, but I'm sure you have a closer company! http://www.industrialsprings.com.au/index.htm
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
Arthur Freeman

Re: Rear suspension on Arrow

Post by Arthur Freeman »

Hi Brenton, Thanks for the reply and help. When I took apart the rear shocks, the spring was just over 2 cms shorter than it should be!. I contacted a local spring maker and he advised against getting the spring stretched out again and then re-tensioned (no real guarantee of success). So I am having new springs made (for all 3 of my 2-stroke Ariels) - since the bikes are all of the same vintage, and if the springs are gone in one, then the others might follow in quick order - at least I will have spares if needed.
Thanks for your help.
bh.sprint
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: Rear suspension on Arrow

Post by bh.sprint »

Hi,

There are also some supplementary rear springs which fit inside the larger rear ones , using special washers to locate them in place. The washers are available but I'm not sure if the springs are easily available.

Brian.H.