ENGINE

Anything about Ariels
toms.goss

ENGINE

Post by toms.goss »

Hi
I am rebuilding 1957 Red Hunter NH and the engine has got external pushrod type with an iron head the engine NO AMA 3687, can some one tell me if the bottom end is right with the wrong top end or is the all lot wrong please.
Tom
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

The VH's of that period were alloy head, and the 54 models of the 350 were all iron, with external pushrod covers as you have. I don't know whether the 350 ever got an alloy head, I haven't seen an alloy 350 head ever. (That doesn't mean they don't exist) Don't get rid of anything that you have yet. nev
pete.collings
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by pete.collings »

NHs had an alloy head and barrel with cast in pushrod tubes (as VHs from 1954) from 1956. Sound like you have an earlier top end on a later bottom end (AMA is a 1957 series engine number). The later parts appear on Ebay from time to time, and you may be able to get them via the club spares scheme. You would also need alloy pushrods, assuming your present ones are steel.
toms.goss

Re: ENGINE

Post by toms.goss »

Hi Nev, Peter,

Thank you for the information, this is my first rebuild of an Ariel so don't no to much about them but learning fast with your help and the clubs once again thank you both.
Tom
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

Tom, everything can be fitted on that Ariel. You could turn it into a 500. Parts interchangeability is almost total. If you are going for originality hang out for the right parts. If you want something to ride, and want more grunt, you can put VH flywheels ( the earlier ones are the best) and even an alloy barrell and head on it. (New ones are made) (You should have the single lobe camshaft in it which is the best for wear. Nev
keith.mettam
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by keith.mettam »

What is the frame no. Tom ? If the frame is a 1957 and you clearly have a 57 NH bottom end then it may be better to keep the machine original and obtain the later barrel, alloy head and any other 57 parts you require to rebuild it rather than make a bitsa up....really depends on your budget and what you prefer to do. As Pete says parts are often available on E-Bay, through the club and also from DraganFlys etc.
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

Bikes to original specs are the go and have more value generally. If you want to, you can always return it to original as parts don't have to be altered at all. I don't even add any extra chrome or aluminium polishing than original, on my bikes if I can help it.
. The Military W/NG has sand cast finish on the gearbox all over, and primary drive case. Some are pressed steel, Primary drive and magneto chain cover. I really like the military 350's. The specification was the same as the 1938 ISDT bikes even to the horrible gear ratios. The only change was the addition of the "field" stand, headlamp switch with different positions to standard and tiny tail light. Nev
toms.goss

Post by toms.goss »

Yes it is a 1957 frame I will take all of your advise and look for a top end, so if any body out there who as got a barrel and head for a 1957 if you can let me know I would be very grateful, once again thank you all for your help