'29 bitser racer...

barry.swanson
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: '29 bitser racer...

Post by barry.swanson »

...timing is everything Chris...if you need something, and at the time you have no choice but pay big, thats unfortunate, but thats what you must do.
I guess its also easier to justify spending a lot on an individual component, if the resulting machine is VERY desirable.
As I mentioned, I was lucky this time as it wasn't complete and the guy didn't know what he had....little victories like this are rare and sweet and go some way to compensating for all the times we buy stuff and it proves to be unsuitable.
barry.swanson
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by barry.swanson »

...the front hub was seriously worn away so a piece of tubing was turned to make the insert which was brazed in...ID is a now little less than original so brake linings will have to be thinner.
Attachments
1929 front hub rebuild.jpg
adrie.degraaff
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by adrie.degraaff »

That brasing took a serius torch Barry, there is nothing like some metal chewing.
Knud.Degnbol
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Knud.Degnbol »

What are the 6 holes in the outer ring for? Has a rearhub been promoted to fronthub?
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

lightening holes in 6 places? Nev
barry.swanson
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by barry.swanson »

Knud.Degnbol wrote:What are the 6 holes in the outer ring for? Has a rearhub been promoted to fronthub?
...congratulations Knud, you are the winner of the "Most Observant" prize ... the cheque is in the mail... :roll: ...now down to the labor exchange for a new typist !
barry.swanson
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by barry.swanson »

adrie.degraaff wrote:That brasing took a serius torch Barry, there is nothing like some metal chewing.
...yeah it must have been glowing Adrie!! , gas wouldn't be my first choice but the guy that does my work is an old school machinist not a welder... he insists it's ok and trues every thing in the lathe after the lava has cooled down ;)
barry.swanson
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by barry.swanson »

...frame bracing, brake pivot and rebuilt gearbox platform.
Spent most of today, a wet Sunday fortunately, with a file in my hand getting the platform level...my mate with his bloody gas torch again Adrie ;)
I was concerned the gearbox might move so added a lump of steel to each end of the platform through which a couple of bolts will be screwed.
It might seem a bit excessive but with "Burt" the B31 that I race, having the gearbox move is a pain in the bum. I often come in after a few laps to find the primary chain has tightened up, it's one of the issues I'll try and get to this winter.
When I got my " bits of Ariel", I got 4 frames, all 4 gearbox platforms had either some serious cracks or gone completely , hard to believe the person that designed the frame couldn't forsee the huge strain he was expecting the platform to take, both the torque of the drive train and the flex of the frame, hopefully with the piece of tube I've added behind it and lots of lovely bronze in every joint, she'll be right now.
Attachments
IMG_2238.jpg
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

I like your wat your doing and the doorstop.
brett.hayhurst
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by brett.hayhurst »

Good job Barry, the pictures are great, keep-em coming.
In mining maintenance we use to reclaim parts when worn beyond minimum and not available in Oz (machine down $$$$$) with metal spray.
Would be somebody in UnZud doing it.
May be worth looking into for cost comparison if your ever in a bind again but that bloke with the torch is worth a few cartons !!
Brett