1950 Sq4 wheels

Singles, twins and fours.
kevin.mcdiarmid

1950 Sq4 wheels

Post by kevin.mcdiarmid »

Hi Guys, i am trying to pre assemble my 1950 SQ4 so that i can make sure i have everything to start the restoration but after 30 years in boxes bolts,washers,spacers are missing ( i bought it like this) can anyone send a photo or two showing what spacers bolts,nuts hold the wheels on i dont think i have the spacers in the right place, actually any close up pics of the whole bike would be great as i havent found any manuals that show this clearly enough, thanks
Kevin
B.C. Canada taybrig@shaw.ca
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by simon.holyfield »

Loads of pics of my '51 on my blog, the address is in my signature!
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
john.mitchell
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by john.mitchell »

You could do a lot worse than investing a fiver with Draganfly and purchasing a copy of their Ariel fourstroke list 15. http://www.draganfly.co.uk/ The guys there must have spent many, many hours to find all the drawings and photos of assemblies from everything published on Ariel. there is no single publication which even comes near it.
John Mitchell
Ex Editor Cheval de Fer (1998-2021)
kevin.mcdiarmid

Re: 1950 Sq4 wheels

Thanks Guys, love your blog Simon, unfortunately there is not a clear enough photo of the rear and front spacers and i have a copy of Draganfly's list 15 but the wheel section like others states "not all parts are illustrated blah blah" and i think i need a photo of a 1950 as other years are different, its hard when you just have a box of parts, lots of washers spacers etc
So if anyone can send a pic or two of their 1950 Sq4 wheel spacers that would be great, not to mention any other close ups
thanks
Kevin
B.C. Canada
fpassmore
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by fpassmore »

Hello Kevin,

Frank from Kamloops (BCCMC forum administrator) here, I can take a picture of my '51 when I get home next week if you can wait that long.
'51 SQ4, '56 NH, '56 VH, '37 VH500 Red Hunter, '56 SQ4 (basket case), '49 Sq4 (basket case), '48 A7 BSA Twin, 12 other BSA's, 9 Norton's, 2 Triumph's, 3 Ducati's and 3 Japanese. Just crazed is all my problem is.
kevin.mcdiarmid

Hi Frank, that will be the one you got from me lol, i think they are different from what i have read but it wont hurt to have a pic of the spacers, guess i should have taken lots of pics before i sold it, maybe i should have sold this box of bits ha ha
Kevin
kevin.mcdiarmid

ok i think i got the rear wheel ok, on the front wheel i am missing a spacer from the left side as the brake plate on the right has no spacer in order to secure the plate to the right fork leg
also i think my rear stand is bent i will try to attach photos for you, hope you can help, it is a 1950 SQ4
Attachments
not sure why forks are like this? i think someone painted the chrome pieces black ?
not sure why forks are like this? i think someone painted the chrome pieces black ?
front left side missing spacer?
front left side missing spacer?
rear stand bent somewhere
rear stand bent somewhere
adrie.degraaff
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by adrie.degraaff »

I think it's 3 times no.

No spacer on the front axel, it's pulled against one leg.

The fork innerlegs could be longer (BSA) or one inner bush missing.

Two differend rearstand supports? one 1939 one 1953?
kevin.mcdiarmid

definitely needs a spacer or the hub will just move along the axle and hit the left fork leg, both rear stand mounts are the same, the stand must be bent but im not sure where
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

Hi Kevin,
Adrie's right. There's no spacer. I can't see exactly with your photo, but it looks like the axle can go in a little more.
The pinch bolt holds it. There is about a cm of axle or less that sits outside the fork leg.
The stand may be bent, but it looks wrongly mounted in your photo (could just be the angle). Can you provide photo's of the mounting on both sides of the bike?
The seal holders should be chrome, and would be just painted over, but many models were black. There are bikes where the springs are visible on fork extension, but I don't think it should be like that. If seal holder meets spring cover over a decent bump, it will be very nasty for the rider.
Regards, Brenton
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.