top prices or what

Bikes or not. Whatever
chris jane

top prices or what

Post by chris jane »

WOW is that a top price 1937 red hunter on ebay £14250 you might as well go for the spitfire replica at £120000
Wali.Badger.Taylor
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: top prices or what

Post by Wali.Badger.Taylor »

What is the actual value though, I put it at about £3250. Prices are getting stupid but they are not actual sale prices rather figures pulled out of the air by the greedy and put on hooks in the hope the stupid will take the bait
adrie.degraaff
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by adrie.degraaff »

The frontforks are WNG and the exhaust silly, on the other hand when you have restored a Red Hunter and count all, even the petrol involved to bring and get the parts, this is where your price is ending.
Loosing 2000 pounds on petrol is normal, the basic 1937 VH 3000, a speedo is 1200, headlamp 500, tank 1000, inspectionlamp 100, etc.
chris jane

Post by chris jane »

Just shows you the value of a forum like this , the things members can tell you by looking at a photo.
Keith.owen

Post by Keith.owen »

The trouble is to know the true condition of the machine. Clearly, this is silly money, but I agree with Adrie from personal experience having completely rebuilt my VH (it cost me £150 in 1975 - too much, but I was young and fell in love with it) I have spent more than its market value, but then again I don't know what that really means.

To put things in perspective, everything was worn so everything was replaced. Why change a chain if the sprockets are worn, to not renew the sprockets at the same time is to send good money after bad..... but it all adds up very fast.

I do know that my machine (almost ready now) is like new and if I look after it, will probably outlast me!

I think the problem that we all face is that even basket cases are going for silly money and it is questionable whether a lot of them are worth what is being asked, considering what it will probably cost to find replacements for missing bits plus the rest! (but it is fun doing it yourself and a source of great personal satisfaction)!

I wouldn't mind a replica spitfire (if only I could afford the fuel)!

Keith
Keith Owen
Editor Cheval de Fer
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
1951 Rigid Ariel NH (under construction)
1973 Norton 850 Commando Interstate
john.nash

Post by john.nash »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ARIEL-VH-500- ... 2329c6b2fd

Blimey
I better reinsure all my bikes for about £100k - in fact I'd sell them all for that ... any offers !
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
Wali.Badger.Taylor

Post by Wali.Badger.Taylor »

My estimate was a little low. I had understood it to be a 350 based on two facts,,,
1. The WNG forks.
2. My inability to read after a glass of wine.
Wali T
john.nash

Post by john.nash »

I saw some basket cases, at today's cheltenham autojumble, being offered for far more than my completed and running version was worth ....they even had the key, high value items removed (magneto,speedo, dynamo, original levers/switchgear and ammeters etc).
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
chris.vredenbregt

Post by chris.vredenbregt »

If we don't buy them prices will go down for sure,but.................... :lol: :?: :arrow: :oops: WE DO buy them.
Anyone for my G-special somewhere between 25 k and 30 k ? :mrgreen: ....chris
black ariel model G special 1930 500 OHV
ABMartin

Post by ABMartin »

I remember cries of outrage a couple of years ago when a similar bike was offered, quickly stilled when it sold. Higher prices means these bikes are in demand - would you have it any other way? In any case, anyone with an equivalent machine won't be complaining.

Bruce
1937 VH Single Port High Pipe