No Spark - Magneto

General electrical problems
Chris.Owen

No Spark - Magneto

Post by Chris.Owen »

Does anyone have a set series of checks to carry out when they can't get a spark on a magneto bike? (In this case, '46 Red Hunter 500.)
chris.vredenbregt
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by chris.vredenbregt »

I think you need some proffesionel help :oops: not for yourself but for your magneto of course :D ,there may be all kinds of problems like condensator or contact between the wiring somewhere, has it ever been overhauld? let someone who knows these things have a look at it.....chris
black ariel model G special 1930 500 OHV
Chris.Owen

Post by Chris.Owen »

Well in the case condensation is the chief suspect. Any tips on drying it out?
keith.hodgenia
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by keith.hodgenia »

Chris, if you are dead lucky you could try putting it in the airing cupboard for a few days. Chris Vredenbregt is right though, it could be all sorts of problems other than damp. Keith.
Chris.Owen

Post by Chris.Owen »

It was running fine a few weeks ago. I went on holiday, and... Well, cold and rain eh? Maybe a hair dryer would help.
chris.vredenbregt

Post by chris.vredenbregt »

It does not solve your problem if the isolation is not good it will happen again and then on a place or at a time that you do not want it. your choise
black ariel model G special 1930 500 OHV
Keith.owen
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: No Spark - Magneto

Post by Keith.owen »

Hi,
I know that money is tight these days but when it comes to the mag the cost of getting it overhauled as oposed to breaking down and being faced with getting your machine home is I think no contest.

Your mag is probably at least 40 years old (even if not original eqipment) and more likely getting on for 60 (or more)!! Insulating materials will decompose (assisted by heat) and given that the thing generates high voltage the coil can break down....... even if just between some of the windings and this is enough to make performance erratic. The condensor (capacitor in modern terminology) will certainly be suspect: again these always break down eventually and even if drying it out appears to restore operation I'd personally not risk it. And let's face it, it's given great service and probably owes you nothing!!

I agree with Chris 100%

Keith :mrgreen:
Keith Owen
Editor Cheval de Fer
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
1951 Rigid Ariel NH (under construction)
1973 Norton 850 Commando Interstate
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

All above is true. BUT Check point gap and cleanliness and that the pivot is free and then the pick up brush and holder for cracks and freedom of brush movement. You need an angled screwdriver there. Nev
Eero.Korhonen

Re: No Spark - Magneto

Post by Eero.Korhonen »

First check that points are closing, when they should be, with multimeter. If not, use file or sandpaper to clean. Then both brushes, ground too.
If you can take off the pick up brush, you could see slip ring and clean it carefully with soft stick. Then take couple of good spark plugs and
try it. Should have some kind of spark.
-Eero
Ariel VH 1954, IZH 350 1962, H-D Sportster Hugger 1992, AOMCC Member 133
barry.swanson
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by barry.swanson »

...first up and easiest, check the points are clean, then all of the above, Barry.