Unreliable starting

bob.keevil
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by bob.keevil »

Hi Keith,

I have had a look but I'll go through it again a bit more diligently.

Many thanks,
Bob
richard.stitson

Post by richard.stitson »

Hi Bob,
I had lots of problems starting my Arrow after leaving it in the garage for 15 years, I checked the crank and fitted new seals, it would start from cold okay, but not when hot, i used the choke to start from cold but you had to switch it of as soon as it started else it flooded. I check all the electrics and fitted new condensers of ebay but when i fitted and tryed to start it wouldnt go with the point cover on it was shorting out as I noticed there were slightly longer than the originalls, so after fetling there was space between condenser and cover and it started, but still the hot starting problem.
I then took the carb off made a perspex cover and filled carb up and sure enough the fuel never stopped it filled right up, I then fitted new viton tipped needle and new seating and he presto it stoped near the pimple where is say Amal but about 1/6th above, so i modified the float stop by soldering a thin brass shim tested again till the fuel level was just below the pimple.
I refitted the original cover to carb and fitted back on the bike and set the main needle to 2nd from top so slightly leaner than normal, I also noitced that my tap was never shutting off 100% so this would have ment my bike if left was always flooding, so i fixed that, and now It starts all the time, so from cold now i only tickle the carb till fuel comes out and then it starts and as it does, pull the choke on and give it some revs then to half choke till its warm, this has worked till now, the other thing i do is always switch of fuel tap a while before i stop just to make sure i know the bike is lean on fuel and if up to 15 min then it starts with no choke straight away, if longer near cold i give slight tickle and away it goes again.
I hope this helps
bob.keevil
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by bob.keevil »

Hi Richard,
Thanks for the reply. I have checked the timing again and had great success with starting and performance. Thanks for the tip on turning the petrol off as I've found this helps. I fitted a new fuel tap a little while ago and am awaiting a new needle.
Thanks once again.
Bob
richard.stitson

Post by richard.stitson »

Hi Bob,
Im glad that you have solved your problems and lets hope we have the weather this year to enjoy our bikes!

Richard