Brighter lights - 6v LED and halogen headlamp bulbs

General electrical problems
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Brighter lights - 6v LED and halogen headlamp bulbs

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi l have been using LED's for the last Ten years and wen they come-out with a better ones i try them , just don't buy some of the cheap ones they do not last long , i have gone over to all LED's in my workshops and home as well and they save a lot of Energy and money the new 6 v headlight LED' are very bright that i am using in my 53 NH , and you will not miss me coning along the road :D :D
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by simon.holyfield »

Which LED are you using in the NH Johnny? I've got two of the CDRC Double Dipper Pro, but I've not tried them yet.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi simes , i am using the ones that Paul Goff does he has done two types i have tried both of them and i like the new one he does , i have seen one in the old bike mart that i will give a go in the new year , and i have use CLASSIC CAR LED's they done a 6 v stop and tail that light-up white on the sides to light up the number plate and red on the end and wen the press the brake it all lights up red they are very good :D , and i see they are doing a 6 v LED headlight bulb now
ian williams

Post by ian williams »

i have one of the P36D leds on my NH , seems reliable , i am using one of the modern 6 1/2" MU42 catseye headlights so it has a sort of narrow rectangular beam out in front , with a larger 7" headlight like a lucas tvs it would have a bigger beam .
these are same bulbs that paul goff sells but mine came from china via ebay .
i have also used the leds that have a focused lens in the end of them and whilst it produced a great main beam the bulb blew within a short time of use and went out on me at 45mph down a country lane in pitch black , so i am now only using the leds like these shown below , it doesnt really matter where you buy them from they will all have been made in china .
i have one of the double dipper bulbs in my leader which uses a single led on each beam , but that produces less light than these brighter 8 led per side bulbs .
these listed below are dual polarity
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274804021707 ... %3A2047675
simon.holyfield

This is a CDRC Double Dipper Pro in a DU42, main beam. You can clearly see the two LEDs that produce the different beams. I'm not sure how this will work on the road - not much spread...
IMG_20221212_222459.jpg
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
allan.walker
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by allan.walker »

£26.39 from a seller in China with iffy feedback score.....I'd stick with Paul Goff, I think.
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi i don't like the look of the chinese ones, i will stick to the ones i get
ralfpenkert

Post by ralfpenkert »

Hello,
i'm curious about CDRC Double Dipper Pro, the one with the lens in front.
But 28 GBP isn't a bargain.
I use CDRC old ones. 8 Leds each side, with original Lucas headlight. They work for 3 or 4 years now.
They are bright at day time but light distribution at night is bad.
Ralf
simon.holyfield

ralfpenkert wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:06 am Hello,
i'm curious about CDRC Double Dipper Pro, the one with the lens in front.
But 28 GBP isn't a bargain.
I use CDRC old ones. 8 Leds each side, with original Lucas headlight. They work for 3 or 4 years now.
They are bright at day time but light distribution at night is bad.
Ralf
Yes, I had one of those from CDRC and have been quite happy with it. I've not tried the new Double Dipper Pro yet, but I have bought one for the W/NG which has a poor reflector and the flat glass of the DU42.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
bevanclark
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by bevanclark »

Hi folks,
I recently had a brief echange on the AOMCC FB page with Simon H regarding my LED lights recently purchased from Paul Goff. I thought I'd do a bit of a follow up here, because I have discovered something odd.
The 6V LED bulbs all glow brightly, with minimal current drain, which is great, BUT.....

- with the original twin filament rear bulb fitted, I get the brake filament going when I depress the brake, the headlight filament going when i turn on the lights, and both filaments going if I have the lights on and hit the brake (i.e. as needed if braking at night). As you'd expect.

- when I swap it out for the LED tail/stop light, I get it lit up when I depress the brake. If I turn on the lights instead, the same sections of the lamp light up, thus if I then hit the brake, I see no difference. Hence, no brake light at night, just a bright tail light !!
(btw: the bulb has asymmetrical licating pins on the bayonet cap so can only go one way into the Lucas tail light)

Baffled would be the best description. Any suggestions welcomed !!

Cheers,
Bevan Clark