Brighter lights - 6v LED and halogen headlamp bulbs

General electrical problems
ColinPeck
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Brighter lights - 6v LED and halogen headlamp bulbs

Post by ColinPeck »

I had the focus problem with both my Ariel and Bantam using halogen bulbs, a brighter light great for looking at owls in trees or rabbits on the verge but not doing much good on the road ahead where I actually wanted the light. I will try the LED bulb in the Bantam soon out of curiosity (I might go mad and buy one for it!) but there is no focus issue with the Ariel, I fitted it and it works.
Colin
'53 Bantam, '55 Huntmaster, '61 Bantam, '79 GS 850, 2004 Burgman 650, 2002 Burgman 400
Leejm
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Leejm »

I have led bulbs everywhere the headlight bulb is the same as Colin peck. I'm still on 6v and it uses about 2amp
With everything on. I haven't used the bike after dark but the lights are bright
1948 NH, BSA D10 SPORTS. 1953 VHA, 1951 KH rigid project.
ColinPeck
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by ColinPeck »

I bought a M 21 a couple of months ago which is my "back up" ride to work bike and fitted the same LED head and stop/tail bulbs as I have in the Ariel. I winced (once again) at the price but.......... Coming home from work is always after midnight riding through Epping Forest, well the roads through the forest anyway, come rain or shine. The headlight (6V) is nice and bright both on main and dip however how far it lights up the road is a bit amusing!
I can see well for a usable distance but then the light beam seems to run out of energy, probably half the usable distance of the 12 V halogen in my Suzuki. I tend to stick to around 50-55 on the old girl and the light is fine, no chance of overtaking it. So not perfect but in my opinion worth the cost, especially for being seen on wet dark days / evenings and having a reasonable headlight / stop, tail light for very little energy.
Colin
'53 Bantam, '55 Huntmaster, '61 Bantam, '79 GS 850, 2004 Burgman 650, 2002 Burgman 400
keithberry
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by keithberry »

oh just some info ,red led do not give better light through a red lens.And SOMEWHERE IN THE USA THEY ARE MAKING 7in led headlight unit complete so there is no messing about with focus,so you never know they might expand their range'
cheers Keith
T150T Trident, 71 A65, 72 kawa h2, 70 h1 ,75 t160, kawasaki z1r . bsa cyclone. 52 sq4 :D oh i need a bigger shed :lol:
bob.keevil
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by bob.keevil »

Hi john
I have tried halogen on both of my arrows , one bulb lasted for over three years the second third and fourth only 400 yards, would 6volt leds last longer without fitting a voltage regulator.
Cheers Bob K
keithberry
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by keithberry »

Sounds like the voltage regulator has stopped working, as for the led set up you need a proper led lens and I think they are 12v
T150T Trident, 71 A65, 72 kawa h2, 70 h1 ,75 t160, kawasaki z1r . bsa cyclone. 52 sq4 :D oh i need a bigger shed :lol:
Ian.Taylor
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Ian.Taylor »

I have just changed mine over to LED on the 31 VF & the 53 VHA and what a difference! The suggested supplier came from Colins post ..Pricey yes but they work great http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/
keithberry
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by keithberry »

Looks good
bob.keevil
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by bob.keevil »

Hi All
At club last month some of those that know told me of a voltage upper by which you can run 12 volt LEDs on 6 volts as the draw is so little, can anyone out there tell me if this is fact or 3 pints and a (bit of club talk)
cheers Bob K
fpassmore

Post by fpassmore »

Yes, DC-DC converters are rather a common item and can be bought for a number of voltage ranges and output voltage. Sometimes called boost converters and easily available on ebay but watch for maximum output current and wattage as this must meet or preferably exceed the intended load.

Frank
'51 SQ4, '56 NH, '56 VH, '37 VH500 Red Hunter, '56 SQ4 (basket case), '49 Sq4 (basket case), '48 A7 BSA Twin, 12 other BSA's, 9 Norton's, 2 Triumph's, 3 Ducati's and 3 Japanese. Just crazed is all my problem is.