Worn out brake drum

Bikes or not. Whatever
barry.swanson
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Worn out brake drum

Post by barry.swanson »

Hello everyone, I'm am still piecing together a 1929 500 and the braking surface of the rear hub, the one where the spoke ends are inside the drum, has to be built up as it would not stand to be skimmed, being too thin.
My query are, has anyone ever had any experience putting an insert into a brake drum ? What was the source of the insert? I've been unsuccessful in sourcing a piece of pipe of suitable dimensions and am now considering tring to find a car brake drum that could be machined to fit. I have got a piece of 40mm steel plate but a lot of machining would be required to carve a 3 or 4mm insert from it!
Would such an insert have to be welded in place or could an epoxy adhesive such as that used for bonding linings to shoes be strong enough?
Your thoughts please...cheers Barry.
adrie.degraaff
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Worn out brake drum

Post by adrie.degraaff »

There are epoxies used to line a crane rail on a steel plant, I think that if you'd make aliner of DEVCON - iron that it will hold, but I would go to a big metal shop and have a disc cut of a steel bar the same material as the hub (don't put a cast liner in a steel hub), make the liner, srink it in and weld the liner on 4 places.
Put it in the late to take the last half mil. out.
Graham.Goral
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Graham.Goral »

A friend of mine has used generic aftermarket engine cyclinder liners as supplied to engine reconditioners, which (he says) can be ordered by diameter in increments of millimetres. He then machined the worn bore to a suitable size to shrink fit it into the hub. Happy to enquire in more detail if needed.
barry.swanson
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Worn out brake drum

Post by barry.swanson »

...thanks guys, as the saying goes, "if at first you don't succeed go to another engineering business" ... was able to find a large piece of steel tube today that can be machined to size , 150mm ID and 180mm OD.
The guy that does my bike work will braze it in...Barry.