Re: Replica Panel type tanks from India.

Anything about Ariels
john.whiting
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by john.whiting »

I would like to hear from an owner who has a replica tank made in India, as offered on ebay stores.I would particularly like an opinion from an Australian buyer.
Keith.owen

Post by Keith.owen »

I think there was a comment in the penultimate issue of Cheval. Apparantly not bad but one of the mounting plates was misaligned. I have also heard that sometimes the chrome is straight onto metal (not a metalic base such as copper or whatever it is that is used). Myself I have been tempted, but bear in mind that you will also have to pay inport duty and it will be difficult to return if you are not happy with it. Draganfly sometimes get tanks made. Have you tried them? It might be worth a wait.

keith
Keith Owen
Editor Cheval de Fer
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
1951 Rigid Ariel NH (under construction)
1973 Norton 850 Commando Interstate
john.whiting

Post by john.whiting »

Thanks Keith,I would have to have a think about a chrome one.I would probably go for a bare one. My Norton has an Indian chrome rim fitted four years ago. The chrome hasnt peeled it has just disappeared in patches, like the silver on a lolly.Theres no import or GST in Aus [yet] on items under $1000. ,but the freight is about equal to the price. Chrome is only $100 more so do you take the punt?Chrome from local operators here is very costly,[EPA], and not much better .
Dave.Barkshire
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by Dave.Barkshire »

I have an Indian chrome tank on the 37NH which came from Draganfly. It's been in use for several years and has seen lots of action and weather. Everything fitted well and the chrome is as good today as when it was new. Maybe I have a good one?
Keith.owen

Post by Keith.owen »

On the subject of tanks from India.

If you buy one via Draganfly you will pay more. However, they will have gone through any pain on your behalf and will ensure that what you get both fits and is of acceptable quality. And no i don't have shares in Draganfly!! I have been tempted to buy an Indian tank though because I need a decent one, that can be chromed, for my 1950 VH.

Keith :mrgreen:
Keith Owen
Editor Cheval de Fer
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
1951 Rigid Ariel NH (under construction)
1973 Norton 850 Commando Interstate
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

I was looking at a KH tank on ebay - relatively cheap to buy and transport to Aus. It's tempting.
And as John says, Chrome plating is seriously expensive and not always great quality.
I guess it depends on what you are going to do with the bike.
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
aljosa.kubaska

Post by aljosa.kubaska »

I have Indian tank on BSA and I would never put it on an Ariel. If you do not have old original is not bad idea to buy one but only till you find original one. Chrom is bad, fixing holes are not on their's places ( I could fux only 3 bolts). Anyway I think it was good idea to buy this tank because I was without.