'59 Leader in Oz

Jonathan Anderson

'59 Leader in Oz

Post by Jonathan Anderson »

My recently aquired leader has been taken for a short ride now and the engine is dismantled waiting my return from a Christmas break in Queensland at my daughters. After a few issues with ignition with no spark,now sorted with a new pazon kit,I have stripped the engine to replace the seals and have had my suspicions about their poor state confirmed. Fortunately the bores and pistons are in very good condition an a micrometer has told me that there is no wear in the 20thou oversize bores and pistons. When I return home I will be able to re-assemble the bike, having obtaind the pair of viton seals for the middle of the cases the day before I left. Before I stripped the engine it was running and idling fine but refusing to start unless
Looks good but the previous owner, I think, only wanted a display bike.
Looks good but the previous owner, I think, only wanted a display bike.
a local ether product "start ya bastard" was used. The seals needed the encouragement from an assisted start to get the exhaust scavenging effect that 2 strokes work better with. I had never ridden a leader before and the short ride was enough to tell me it will be a comfortable and adequate machine for me now that my previous ' 39 Red Hunter has gone to a good home in Wooloongong. My wife is pleased too as she was refusing to sit in the guard of the older bike as a pillion.
The bike has most of the accessories available but I would appreciate a source for either a pair of the pannier holdalls ,or failing that some form of pattern or sketch as to what they should look like. All replies will be dealt with as soon as I can.
Regards,
Jon Anderson
brenton.roy
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: '59 Leader in Oz

Post by brenton.roy »

Hi Jon,
Keep your eye out for one just like yours - minus the panniers and blinkers, fawn where yours is blue.
It'll be my old one.
I loved it am am sorry I no longer have it. There, I've said it... I miss my 2 stroke!
A well sorted Leader will do around 70mph, is as smooth as and handles really well. Far better than adequate.
Wait till you get stuck in the rain with other riders. They'll want a Leader too.
Page excellence.
Brenton
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.