Ariel Tool roll

Anything about Ariels
Andrus.Luuding

Ariel Tool roll

Post by Andrus.Luuding »

Hi,
Trying to complete tool set for my '39 NG and looking for information regaring Canvas tool roll measurements etc. What would be the best match compared to original canvas?
It seems Civilian tool roll was slightly different by design and with less tools than the W/NG one. Got only pics of civilian tool roll but would need bit more info before I start to stich mine together.
As for finish for tools believe they were not plated for prewar bikes. Not sure for later ones. Would anyone know if they were perhaps parkerized? There was small thread while back on the forum about finish for tools in general as i found out but unfortunately not much information. Also this subject has not yet reached the Knowledgebase.

Regards,
Andrus
brenton.roy
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by brenton.roy »

Hi Andrus, when you work this out, would you mind posting photo's of the tool roll?
I'd like to have a go at making one too (a civilain one).
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
ray.tolman
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: Ariel Tool roll

Post by ray.tolman »

Andrus and Brenton,
Check out the US Ariel forum on Yahoo.
I encourage you to join this most excellent "FREE" forum run by Shaun Doan of Bellingham, WA.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ArielMCGroup/

Here you will find extensive information on Ariels, including the toolkit you ask about.
On the main page, go to the left hand side, click on "Files", scroll down to "Ariel Tool Rolls, Big Singles Spanners, Thapex inflator ", and have a look.

NOTE: You will have to join the forum to access the files.

I have complete, original 1937-47ish singles tool kit and W/NG tool kit. These both have the original canvas tool rolls.

If you need more information/photos about these quite rare kits or canvas rolls, do contact me.
Ray
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

Hi Ray,

I'll have a go at it.
I did have some dealings with Shawn. I looked it up - 2006.
At the time, we were trying to find a way to share resources for the knowledgebase - which unfortunately didn't work out.

There have been some issues between the US club and the AOMCC.
Not wanting to get anyone started, but I'm not sure that there aren't still issues between clubs? :?
That being said, there are always good people!

I do know that Shawn is extremely knowledgeable and that he works hard for the North American club.
We should probably talk again - we might be able to sort things out this time.
If you are a member of his group, perhaps you would either point him to this post or invite him to have a look at our forum.

regards, Brenton
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

Is this the toolroll your looking for?
Attachments
toolrol 002.JPG
toolrol 001.JPG
Andrus.Luuding

Post by Andrus.Luuding »

Joined the Yahoo group and indeed some useful info there but cant see that anyone has taken up subject for replicating the actual tool roll.
Ray, If its not too much trouble would appreciate getting some measurements off the original toolroll. Outside dimentions, pockets, strap etc. Approx material thickness etc. Is it completely made of canvas or rexine on outside? As you have original tool kit would you mind giving some info regarding finish on tools as well?
Probably there are few of the original ones surfacing and going for sale every now and then but by this time their condition will be rather fragile so I hope somebody who has made one up already will find this thread as well.
Adrie, Would you happen to know from which year is your tool roll from? Seems bit different.
Below is photo of pre war civilan tool roll. Believe same is also on Yahho group files... Also copied this good photo of Civilian tools for single cylinder models fm Yahoo group as seen below. There was one extra tool available - Valve spring compressor but this would stay in the garage normally. For sidevalve models there were some different tools available which are not shown here. W/NG model had some extra tools as well. Specially adjustable spanner and pliers, I would have included these in civilian one too but for some reason they were not.
Regards, Andrus
Attachments
OHV Singles Tools.jpg
Tool roll2.jpg
Tool roll2.jpg (119 KiB) Viewed 6422 times
Tool roll.jpg
Tool roll.jpg (112.39 KiB) Viewed 6422 times
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

I don't know what year or make, never used it, was in the last keeping drawer.
ray.tolman

Post by ray.tolman »

Hi Andrus,
The photos above are all of my tool kit and tool roll. I will take closeups of the spanners so you can see the finish. Most are blackened or unfinished.
Any of the tool rolls I have seen have only the canvas strap, even though the one pictured in the parts book appears to be leather as in the one Adrie has. I don't think the rivits were from the factory, but this would not be the first time I was wrong :-)

As an interesting note, the W/NG tool roll is identical to the civilian one, but for an extra strap and a larger top flap. (at least on the ones I have)
I will try to get measurements asap.
Ray
Andrus.Luuding

Post by Andrus.Luuding »

Ray, Indeed think i saved some pics off the WD forum while back. Hope no harm done by posting them here. All for the good cause. As for W/NG toolkit yes there's said to be double strap but in parts book illustrated with single strap.
Andrus
ray.tolman

Post by ray.tolman »

Andrus,
My pictures are your pictures. No harm done. We are furthering the cause of the club.
Cheers,
Ray