FH rear hub.

Singles, twins and fours.
david.birkett

FH rear hub.

Post by david.birkett »

My '58 Huntmaster appears to have standard swinging arms and a standard full width hub, but I can't use the standard 1" dia. spindle because there is a .75" slot in the RH arm. This has been overcome by using a .75" spindle passing through a 1" OD sleeve in the hub and screwing into a .75" dia. thread in the stub spindle. There is no mention of this setup in Draganfly's list 15 parts catalogue.

Is this a known mod, and where did the swinging arm with the RH .75" slot come from?

David, permanently bewildered member 4011.
brenton.roy
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by brenton.roy »

Hi David, it looks like we're all bewildered!
Hopefully not permanently though.. It's nothing to do with the FERC ing / QD axle is it?
Keep bumping the topic. Sooner or later, someone will have an answer.
regards, Brenton
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
david.birkett

Post by david.birkett »

Hi Brenton, and thanks for replying. Looking at Draganfly's list 15 parts book I am wondering if the 4963-54 or - 55 swinging arms and the 4475-50 or - 54 spindles were .75" and my bike has been fitted with the earlier s/a and spindle with a 1" o.d. sleeve to accomodate the full width hub. I am hopeing one of you Ariel wizards can confirm this theory and better still swap my suspect early s/a for one that will accept my expensive new spindle and stub axle.

Regards, David.
keith.mettam
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by keith.mettam »

Hi David,
An image or two of your swinging arm might be useful and may help solve your problem. I believe the later swinging arms do not have open slots where the spindle fits as shown on Drags site. The spindle slots being an 'elongated hole' each side of the swinging arm, i.e. closed off at the ends as per my 57 NH seen here in the members section:-
http://www.arielownersmcc.com/members ... IM2109.JPG
I would imagine, therefore, your theory is spot on David.
Hope you sort it out !
Regards,
Keith Mettam.
david.birkett

Post by david.birkett »

Thankyou Keith.
It has been confirmed that the bike left Selly Oak with the engine and frame it has now, but who is to know what components have been swapped and changed since. I'll try and get some pictures on this forum but it must have left the factory with a swinging arm assembly similar to the one on that gleaming NH of yours. I'm starting to feel better already.

Regards,
David.
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

Yes, Keith's bike is very nice, isn't it. Maybe better than new?
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
keith.mettam

Re:

Post by keith.mettam »

brenton.roy wrote:Yes, Keith's bike is very nice, isn't it. Maybe better than new?
Possibly Brenton, perhaps not your cup of tea ? Kind of you to comment. It was a restoration project when I retired (owned it for years) so plenty of time to do it. Loads of stainless steel nuts, bolts etc. used. Pleased with the result and it runs beautifully. Love riding it locally but for the longer quicker runs up the motorway I fire up the 72 Honda CB750 Four which eats up the miles at speed ! Working on a 68 T20 Suzuki at the moment, can't wait to finish that and try it out. I must say, though, that all three have been 'cash cows' so don't tell 'er indoors' ! Both the NH and CB750 came out well and give great pleasure to me riding them and strangers who love to chat to me about the bikes.
Have a great Christmas everyone and a happy, safe, New Year.
Keith Mettam.
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

No Keith, I love it! - I wouldn't be up to keeping it that clean, but I can/do appreciate it.
There have been some awesome restorations on the forum.
By better than new, I mean just that. Our saying for cash cow is walking wallet.. same effect!
Take care, and my best wishes to you as well.
Brenton
david.birkett

Re: FH rear hub.

Post by david.birkett »

Here's a picture of my swinging arm.
David
Attachments
Misc. Dec. 2012008.JPG
keith.mettam

Post by keith.mettam »

David,
All the late 56-58 swinging arm frames I have seen have had the enclosed spindle hole so you may have an earlier swinging arm in a late frame, although I am not an Ariel expert so don't quote me. If I were you I would give DraganFly a ring in the New Year and have a chat with them. My guess, as is yours, would be as per your earlier posting. If correct this might leave two options for you :-
(1). Change the swinging arm for the other type
(2). Modify your swinging arm to the later style to suit the spindle you have purchased. Can't be hard to do even if you have no facilities or experience a local engineering firm should be easily able to modify it.

Before doing either, David, check your new spindle fits your rear wheel hub correctly !

Good luck with it........Happy Christmas !