Dates, people and places in early Ariel history

Anything about Ariels
leon.mitchell
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Dates, people and places in early Ariel history

Post by leon.mitchell »

1. The first public showing of an Ariel motor tricycle was the Stanley Show, Agricultural Hall, Islington, 18 November 1898

On 18 Nov 1898 there were two huge cycle shows in England: the Stanley Show at the Agricultural Hall, Islington, and the National Show at Crystal Palace, London. According to the newspapers of the day 'it seems a strange proceeding to hold both shows at the same time'. I'd have to agree, particularly as the two shows were 'at least an hour's journey apart'. 'The Stanley Show has 330 exhibitors showing 2,200 machines. The National Show has 300 exhibitors, with slightly over 2,000 machines.' Both shows were well supported by the industry and the public: 'Each of them has and all available space occupied.'

In Peter Hartley's Ariel book, and on countless web sites, it is stated that the Ariel motor tricycle was first shown to the public at the Crystal Palace in November 1898. No so, it seems. Both newspapers and motoring press of the day (see below) describe the Ariel Motor Tricycle at the Stanley Show at the Agricultural Hall, Islington, rather than the National Show at the Crystal Palace (where there were very few motor exhibits). The Autocar of 19 Nov 1898 makes it quite clear that this is Ariel's first motor exhibit: 'THE ARIEL CYCLE CO. will make their first appearance in the ranks of the motor makers with an "Ariel" motor tricycle...'

There is some guff below quoted from the press. By the way, I'm still not sure exactly which tricycle was on display. If it was the engine-in-front-of-the-axle one, I'm surprised there wasn't more made of it in the description. Note that it is described as "British build throughout", so it must have had the 'Components Dion' motor as built by Cycle Components Mfg Co.

Cheers

Leon

19/11/1898 Autocar, p 743

THE STANLEY SHOW

"THE ARIEL CYCLE CO. will make their first appearance in the ranks of the motor makers with an "Ariel" motor tricycle, a machine built under the De Dion patents, and following the lines of the De Dion construction. The speed regulation is arranged from four to twenty-five miles per hour, and the public will look with interest at this, the first production of another new English motor-building firm."

19/11/1898 Standard

THE STANLEY SHOW

"The Ariel Company, which have a large an beautiful assortment, are displaying machines ...[description of bicycles]... But the most remarkable object on their stall was a motor tricycle constructed on the principle of the De Dion patent. The motor has 1 3/4 horse power, and the motive agent is petrol, failing which benzoline may be used. It can travel as much as 30 miles an hour, and can run 120 miles without recharging. The tricycle is light and elegant in appearance, and altogether free from clumsiness and heaviness which so many of the earlier designs of the motor cycle possessed. The Ariel Company also exhibit free pedal bicycles, combined with powerful back-pedalling brake, and highly recommend this form of pedal for ladies. There were only two or three motor tricycles exhibited at all."

26/11/1898 Autocar, p 759

THE STANLEY SHOW

"In another part of the main building we discovered a motor tricycle manufactured by THE ARIEL CYCLE CO., of London and Birmingham. This is a very compact and neat-looking machine of the modified De Dion type, propelled by a one and threequarter horse-power motor furnished with an electrical sparking device adapted to be times for regulating the speed. It is British build throughout."

26/11/1898 Autocar

THE AUTOCARS AT THE NATIONAL SHOW.

"At the National Show at the Crystal Palace the motor carriage exhibits are comparatively scarce...

[description of small number of motor exhibits, Ariel not mentioned]

...As will be seen from this brief description of the exhibits, there is not much variety in the matter of self-propelled vehicles at the National Show, but the exhibits which are to be seen are most interesting. We have no doubt, too, that, when the National Show of 1899 comes round, it will be found to contain many more motor machines than does the present exhibition."
leon.mitchell
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Dates, people and places in early Ariel history

Post by leon.mitchell »

2. The first illustrated advertisement found for an Ariel tricycle: Autocar 10 December 1898, page 801

Courtesy of the Eric Rainsford Library at the Sporting Car Club of South Australia, I have turned the pages of the Autocar through 1898. If Ariel were trying to sell tricycles before November/December, they certainly we're advertising them! Eagle-eyed Arielist might note that the engine in the trike in this advert is not exactly "the usual" Ariel tike engine. The drawing shows the inlet valve on the side of the motor (as it was in a genuine De Dion motor for 1897). The Sangster tricycle patent submitted in September 1898 shows the same valve arrangements in its drawings. Did Ariel make some prototype trikes like this? Possibly. The survivors all seem to have the overhead inlet valve, as used by De Dion from 1898 on.

Please let us know if you have an Ariel tricycle advert earlier than this!

Leon
Attachments
From the Autocar, 10 December 1898
From the Autocar, 10 December 1898
adrie.degraaff
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by adrie.degraaff »

Hi Leon,
I can totaly agree with this topic, even this drawing (same as my 1899 model book) has wire tires and oiltank.

So the Australian March 1898 (engine behind the axel) Ariel(s) where for that market only, had wire tires, unlike your very first photo wich has France beaded edge wheels and forks.

Next, the 1998 Ariel library brocure, with wire tires, oilpot, and my proto engine, the front page is getting more important by the day.
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

Could it be that there is only one or two Australian Ariel made? now in Beaulieu with a newer engine?

Sangster bought a (used?) De Dion in 1896 to see if it could be bettered, this would be one with a small rear oilpot, so a bigger one would be an improvemant.
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

Rereading everyting brought in till now, and start this topic up again;

Could it be that in November 1898 the own Ariel front engine was still not ready for production so on these shows it was still the Australian Ariels with rear mounted France De Dion engines and this drawing advert and 1899 modelbook was just wishfull thinking?.

So 1899 was the first year for the production own front engine machine.
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

Klaus Gerhard gave me a tip of a drawing on ebay.

It dusn't help us becouse , (as the above drawing), it's never made, the inlet tube would be to small.
If this is the first tank patent he asked for than the 1898 brochure on "libary" would be the 1900 brochure made in August 1899, this would explaine the later (righthand) quadricycle but not the earlier tricycle photo's.

The Ariel factory used old photo's even if the model was changed, (in the 1904 brochure where pre March 1903 photo's).

The only real clue is the speeding ticked Stocks got on the tricycle in 1899, this was a later one than the libary photo's, (oiltank, pump, 2.5 inch tires).

We agree on my crankcase made between Aug. 1897 and Aug. 1898, the above barrel with bigger radiator (fins) would fit on my crankcase .
Attachments
Ariel_1898.jpg
1899 tank.JPG
1899 tank.JPG (22.27 KiB) Viewed 6931 times
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

It just accurred to me; it has a bigger radiator (fins), to what?, not to a De Dion engine, it is to my engine.
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

Adrie, can you explain that again s l o w l y for dummies? (me).
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

Hi Brenton,
this topic started with the oldest advert of a tricycle Leon could find, if you read the lines you'l see "improved radiator" in modern language cooling fins, becouse the inletvalvehousing has fins to.
De Dion has the same amount of fins as this advert on that moment.
My engine has 4? fins less becouse the inlet is over exhaust.
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

OK, Thanks Adrie.
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.