Ariel Red hunter help HU

Bikes or not. Whatever
Miklos.Gyorgy

Ariel Red hunter help HU

Post by Miklos.Gyorgy »

Hello!

I would like a little help. On Hungary i found this Ariel Red hunter 500, from 1950. Frame no. : LL903, Engine No.:EJ678. So the question is that do you know which model is? What should i change for the Old Timer pass?
Attachments
Kép 925.jpg
Kép 920.jpg
Kép 918.jpg
Kép 919.jpg
dave.owen
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by dave.owen »

It looks very much like a VH 500cc

Dave
AOMCC Treasurer
adrie.degraaff

Re: Ariel Red hunter help HU

Post by adrie.degraaff »

The petrol tank is a 1949 squarefourtank from India.

Frame 1950 engine 1949.

Ridgid toolbox, strange oiltank.

Aftermarket levers.

Silenser Matchless?
Last edited by adrie.degraaff on Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miklos.Gyorgy

Post by Miklos.Gyorgy »

can you send a picture about a full original and restored bike because on Hungary there aren't any documentation. Thank you for the replies!
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Oil tank looks very like the 6-pint one on my 51 VH (except for maybe a bigger filler and a funny cap - is that what you were getting at Adrie?); '50 frame and '49 engine could be 'matching' for the bike, nice headlight with what looks to be a complete underslung pilot light unit, mudguards look good, silencer would be easy to replace, if that's a rigid toolbox it's certainly been properly made to fit, is that a 19" front wheel ? - I think that's a very nice looking bike....
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

It's really difficult for you if a lot of the bikes you are seeing are made up from parts.
It also depends on what you want - 100% original or just looking OK.

There are a lot of parts from different models on this bike. The headlight is nice, but from a later model (maybe 53 on?), the speedo isn't Ariel - maybe early 60's Triumph?
I think the horn, tail light and battery brackets are repro's, late forks? - don't recognise the yoke top bolts and wrong levers - as well as the stuff pointed out above.
It doesn't have a VH timing cover. The model that came out like that originally was the VG (not the red Hunter sports model). You'd have to check carb size, cam and flywheels to verify. VG's had 19" front wheels.

Having said that, it might be a great bike to ride and enjoy. You just need to consider this when you put a price to the bike, particularly if you think you might sell it later.

The best resource is either here or the sales brochures and parts books in the club library. You can at least then see a "photograph"/ sketch of what the original looked like that year. http://www.arielownersmcc.com/members ... phlet5.jpg
Good luck, Brenton
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
david.anderson

Post by david.anderson »

actually the frame is from a KH or KG twin (not a single). Have a look at the front engine plates. also the rearlifting handle is from later models and the rear mudguard mounting is wrong. I would say the oil tank is also from a twin. Look at the filler neck angle and oil pipe angles. The oil tank mounting is too low and does not appear to have the top U bracket securing it.
The bike is not very original at all.
David
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

It's amazing what detail different people see in the same pictures.
Miklos (have I got you name right?)
Do you know the cost of the motorcycle? - Euro's or GBP
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
Eero.Korhonen

Post by Eero.Korhonen »

I think that speedo is from 70:s BSA.
-Eero
Ariel VH 1954, IZH 350 1962, H-D Sportster Hugger 1992, AOMCC Member 133
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

David has seen what I mentioned, the oiltank must be higher to connect with the tube otherwise the tank will vibrate, the twin frame very good.

The petrol cap is to high, the panel to square on the edge.

The topjoke of the forks are 100% 1950, first the triangle than the sheet metal support.

The levers are flat, should be round.

This is from a 1950 modelbook made in Aug 1949 so the tankpanel dissapered in 1950.

The VH is 1949.
Attachments
1950_ Model KH.jpg
1950 4 cilinder MK I.jpg
1949 VH
1949 VH