ARIEL MF

Singles, twins and fours.
marwsk

ARIEL MF

Post by marwsk »

Hello
I have the opportunity to buy Ariel MF. Unfortunately, the internet is very little information about this model. Can someone please write something more? What are the differences between the 1931 and 1932 model? Do many parts from other models (wheels, fenders, steering wheel)? How many of these motorcycles were produced? Is it difficult to repair a motorcycle? Does anyone have a parts catalog in pdf format?
Regards
Marcin
Dave.Barkshire
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by Dave.Barkshire »

So far as I know there are very few of these remaining and parts are very hard to come by so if you do buy one it would be best if it was complete. Maybe an expert can tell us more....
Knud.Degnbol
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Knud.Degnbol »

There are many differences between MF's from 1931 and 31. Just a short list:
Front forks:
The fork blade was changed in 1932. One difference is that the older models had the front mudguard stays mounted on the front wheel spindle like on an old-fashioned bicycle, while the 32 models have them mounted on separate ears on the fork.
The lower mudguard stay now double as a front stand, and the front stand under the engine disappears.
Another difference is that the forkspindles are now working in bronze bushings instead of running directly in the fork material.
The fork links got a strengthening rib on the outside of the links.
A round metal handle succeeded the former T-shaped fork damper handle.
And further: In 1932 the carburator was flangemounted; in 31 it was stubmounted.
In 32 the brakes had 6½" cast iron brakedrums. In 31 they were 5½" pressed steel.
Silencers had loose fishtails in 31, they were fixed in 32.
In 31 the toolbox was triangular with leather front. In 32 it was all steel.
In 32 the primary chaincase had a big plug in the clutchdome.
That's the most important differences.
Knud
Knud.Degnbol

Post by Knud.Degnbol »

And you can get copies of the spares list from Draganfly.
Knud
brenton.roy
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by brenton.roy »

Hello Marcin.
These are beautiful bikes. If I could afford one, I would buy it. Yes, they can be challenging to repair. General maintenance is OK, but you may sometimes need the help of an engineer.
With a bike of this age, it would be well worth being a club member, for advice and help.
Brenton
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
marwsk

Post by marwsk »

Thank you all for your reply. Today I go see the bike again. In the evening, I will show you photos of what I want to buy. No. B3104 frame and engine number B751.
The motorcycle has a fairly large gaps. Is fenders and wheels pasująz newer models?
In Poland many elements such as silencer and fenders can easily make a replica. The only problem is to have the item on the model and the scared.

In the evening, write for more information.
Regards
Marcin
john.nash

Re:

Post by john.nash »

brenton.roy wrote:Hello Marcin.
These are beautiful bikes. If I could afford one, I would buy it. Yes, they can be challenging to repair. General maintenance is OK, but you may sometimes need the help of an engineer.
With a bike of this age, it would be well worth being a club member, for advice and help.
Brenton

Don't let him plead poverty
He's just imported a black ariel from cloggy-land
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
marwsk

Re: ARIEL MF

Post by marwsk »

Unfortunately, as you can see the bike is highly incomplete. Most fear the engine. Gearbox complete, efficient. What sensor is located on the outside of the fuel zbirniku speedometer that is not?

Maybe some opinions of what material is missing and what is easy for you to buy?
At the weekend I would like to buy this bike and I am looking for information to be able to talk about the price :)

Knud.Degnbol

Re: ARIEL MF

Post by Knud.Degnbol »

The wheels are difficult to find. I was missing a rearwheel and had to borrow one to make a copy.
Knud
brenton.roy

Re: Re:

Post by brenton.roy »

john.nash wrote:
brenton.roy wrote:These are beautiful bikes. If I could afford one, I would buy it.
Don't let him plead poverty
He's just imported a black ariel from cloggy-land
Which is exactly why I can't afford another one!
It is a beautiful thing... sigh... When it arrives, I'll post some photo's and offer my thanks to the previous owner.
According to my extensive calculations (or fears), it's currently being washed overboard, in a force 10 hurricane, somewhere off the coast of south america...

Marcin, The numbers are both correct for a 1932 350cc.
Knud, does this bike have the pressed steel brake drums? - if so, they are not great brakes and yes, hard to get. can you use later hubs?
Primary cases will be very hard to find.

Be tough when it comes to the sale. A lot of the "high dollar" parts aren't there. Some quite expensive and rare. - pre focus headlight, levers, primaries, mudguards, hubs, magdyno, speedo.
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.