Twin Leading Shoe brake assembly for Arrow

Roger James
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Twin Leading Shoe brake assembly for Arrow

Post by Roger James »

Wanted for Ariel Arrow
A Twin Leading Shoe front brake unit for use in standard hub please, would prefer a complete unit but would also consider parts to make up such an assembly.
Many Thanks. Roger
Jonathan Anderson

Post by Jonathan Anderson »

Roger , I tried to post a reply here and got bogged down in the image transfer. I have sent a normal email to the web master and may do the same for yourself. For some unknown reason I thought you were the web master. I'll try to paste in the typing from my email sent items.

Roger,
I am now registered as a member and noted a request for an arrow twin leading shoe front brake. I got through typing most of what will be in this reply and got bogged down when I tried to include the images. Double clicking did not work as it does with ebay and drag an drop lost the typing into cyberspace somewhere, hence this format. I have a GA5A Kawasaki 100cc with a twin leading shoe brake mod from a CL/CB175/250 Honda around 1976 model. Youhave to think outside the square as to how you look after the torque arm and its attachment. Possibly going to the other side of the forks. My recently sold '39 "bitsa" had a XL 250 Honda front brake and 21"wheel with a DT175 Yamaha rear brake backing plate trimmed to suit and a much better look than the "give away" Honda item with the glaringly obvious speedo drive.
07102011058.jpg
I hope the pictures are with enough clarity for you to get some clues for your project on the Arrow.
I intend doing the same brake mod for my newly acquired Leader. I am presently waiting for a 12volt conversion for the alternator and a pazon ignition kit.
15092012162.jpg
Img_1411.jpg
Roger James

Post by Roger James »

Hello Jonathan,
I appreciate your comment regarding looking after the brake torque arm but really dont think that I need to source an alternative make of hub and move the torque arm to the other side. I've been a member of the club for a very long time and over the years there has been a number of articles in Cheval showing what other owners have done to create a twin leading shoe brake using the standard front wheel/hub/torque arm fitting, also being a long term member of the Arrow and Leader group forum have seen what can be achieved without changing hub and torque arm arm fitting, they are not all a brilliant succeess but some mods apparently work very well in comparison to the standard brake - unfortunately I do not feel confident and dont have the facilities to make one of the better T.L.S brakes that do work well, hence my request for one or the hope that someone would be prepared to make one realising that there could well be a reluctance to get involved incase it should fail in use with dire consequences all round. That said, thought I would give it a try - no response from anyone though. No [pictures with your post. Many Thanks. Roger
john.nash
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by john.nash »

The forum doesn't seem to attract two-stroke owners, unfortunately.
I am afraid that we cannot make them join ... :shock:

I guess Jon was pointing out that it might have been easier to adapt from another bike, as opposed to using the existing kit ?

Me. I'm waiting for someone to come up with a TLS for my half width hub ...... I don't possess the engineering skills to make one ..
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
john.mitchell

Post by john.mitchell »

I thought I had mentioned it, John. The easiest and cheapest way to double the power of a single sided Ariel brake is to use 2 of them back to back as John Jane has done.
John Mitchell
Ex Editor Cheval de Fer (1998-2021)
john.nash

Post by john.nash »

need two hubs though ? Right

I cannot even get a set of brake shoes :(
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

Roger, as Internet John points out, there are very few from the 2 stroke group of members who contribute to our club's forum.
If you are on both forum's, maybe you could have a word? You might be able to at least find out what the problem is. This forum was deliberately set up to equally support the smokers.
Many of the things that are applicable to Leaders and Arrow's are just as useful for the four strokes - like creating a twin leading shoe brake.
I expect your best hope is to upload a couple of photo's or a diagram that shows what you are looking to achieve - or at least the basics of how.
Do you still have the back issues of Cheval with the brake of interest?
I'm not sure where you are from in the UK - near Silverstone? Someone local to you may know a good engineering firm, or have the skills to help you out.

Are you building for a road racing or street bike? If for racing, you can use anything pre '62. From memory, the two strokes had reasonable brakes - you may well get a better result by having the drum and the linings skimmed (just open) round.
This was interesting http://www.realclassic.co.uk/techfiles/ ... 00900.html
http://www.voc.uk.com/net/docs/2.1/2.1-192-12.pdf
With minimal work, this might do the job - for you, and John. http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/ac ... ame-brakes

Twin hubs sounds great - like a Vincent! - but the unsprung weight...
Brenton
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.