KH 500 Petrol in the inlet rubber

Singles, twins and fours.
David Smith

KH 500 Petrol in the inlet rubber

Post by David Smith »

On attempting to start the bike after fitting a rebuilt monobloc carb (everything to spec) after the winter storage, it fired easily enough but would not pick up and flooded the plugs several times. Eventually pulled the inlet rubber off to check if the slide was sticking and a fair amount of petrol ran out! Not sure if the float was leaking or overenthusiastic tickling, anyhow carb appeared not to be leaking and fired up and ran straightaway with fresh plugs. I think I will drill a small hole in the intake rubber that any future excess of petrol can leak out of so I can both see it and not flood the engine
adrie.degraaff
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: KH 500 Petrol in the inlet rubber

Post by adrie.degraaff »

Not a good idear it will run to fast on the false air.
tony.barnett
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by tony.barnett »

Petrol won't leak out unless the engine is stopped. The inlet runs under vacuum so will suck air in. Not a good idea.
KOBI
Swindon Branch Combined Operations (Chairman and Secretary)
Ariels - 1913 TT Model, 20 Roadster, 28 Model D, 30 Model B, 38 VH, 52 VH
Velocette MAC, KSS Mk1
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

:? I think the rubber that's being mentioned is the air cleaner side of the carb, shouldn't be much vacuum there unless something's blocked...

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Well it runs OK with the hose off but undoubtedly a bit weaker, so a couple of mm hole is not likely to make much difference, but wll let any pooled petrol out so doesn't get sucked straight into the engine as soon as it fires. Clearly I need to sort any potential leaks out first and tickle the carb with less enthusiasm as it does'nt seem to leak out of the carb visually but might be getting in the air hose!
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

My 1954 KH has a monobloc carb and the air filter. It would amaze me if my air filter rubber was a decent seal onto the carb. Turn on the petrol, shut the air slide and give the carb a very brief tickle and she will fire up and run reliably, usually first kick. I think your only problem has been holding the tickler down for too long. A second, or at the most 2 seconds is long enough on mine, but I do open the petrol tap before I put my gloves on which gives the carb time to fill if the bike hasn't run for a while.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Paul

I think you are correct!