Spotted at Shepton

Bikes or not. Whatever
Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Spotted at Shepton

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Spotted at the Shepton autojumble last weekend.
Genuine HS, 1955 I'd guess. I couldn't see any details (owner was away chatting to someone else apparently) so I don't even know if it was still for sale! (Apologies for the picture quality, I didn't see that the camera was having a problem with the light levels.)
SDC10699.JPG
Another lightweight 250 - and another one I didn't get the numbers on (sorry Roger!). Someone might recognise it from the custom primary chain guard.
SDC10739.JPG
SDC10741.JPG
Square four parts in the grave yard? (Can't help wondering where the rest of it had got to - and where it came from.)
SDC10727.JPG
SDC10730.JPG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
will_curry
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: Spotted at Shepton

Post by will_curry »

Interesting HS. I agree with 1954/55 but the air cleaner and presumably oil tank
on the other side are I believe '56 onward Mk1 only so something of a hybrid.

If anyone has one of those air cleaners going spare I'm interested. I have a NOS
TT air cleaner awaiting.
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

And as there's a been some discussion of HT3's here's a new one that was for sale (along with a couple of interesting Italian off-roaders).
This was built up 3 years ago as a 'lockdown' project for pre-'65 trials use, but 'battle damage' to the owner (wrecked shoulder falling down a bank on something else if I remember correctly) means it needs to be replaced with something lighter.
There is no pretence at it being an Ariel original. I was told the engine has a Mick Dickinson barrel and head to give 370cc, and the build cost was rather more than the selling price on the ticket.
SDC10689.JPG

Alongside the Ariel were a Ducati single that had been much adapted for trials use (I think 160cc was mentioned):
SDC10687.JPG
And a genuine 350cc 4-stroke off-road Italjet (very much a rarity):
SDC10688.JPG
SG

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

It has been many years since I have seen parts & bikes like that around over here !
You lucky lot. :D
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

You should have bought the Square Four petrol tank. Its the one unique to 1953 and someone, somewhere is desperate for it !
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Vincent - I find with autojumbles that you can go a long time without seeing much in the way of Ariels and then suddenly you find lots! Last week-end was easily the most Ariels I've ever seen at Shepton (for some reason there were a lot of people selling complete bikes at this one). Probably won't see any more there for some time now. :roll:
Paul - if only I could afford to buy Square Four stuff 'on spec' ! :mrgreen:

SG