Arrow Primary Chain case oil

Richard B

Arrow Primary Chain case oil

Post by Richard B »

I have some Volvo VDS-4.5 15w-40 left over. Is this suitable for the primary chaincase and clutch?
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Arrow Primary Chain case oil

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi i think you may need to use a straight oil and not a multigrade oil i use a ATF oil that is used in automatic gearboxes
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi i think you may need to use a straight oil and not a multigrade oil i use a ATF oil that is used in automatic gearboxes for my clutch and chain case
will_curry
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by will_curry »

I don't know about that particular oil but I believe that most 'car' oils contain friction-reducing
additives which are bad news for a clutch. This is one reason given for using only the
approved oils in modern motorcycle engines as the engine oil almost always lubricates
the primary drive and gearbox as well.

So, no, I wouldn't use it. Mind you, I'm no great fan of ATF either.
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

A Forum search reveals recommendations for:
- ATF (I see I've decided to use that but I have a note to only use mineral and Dexron equivalent), but it's also been commented that this can be thin enough to get past the contact breaker oil seal and contaminate the points;
- straight 20 or straight 30
Regarding the Volvo 15-40, if it's an engine oil I'd make two comments, either avoid it on the grounds that it's an unknown and there's no point in giving yourself unnecessary headaches, or use it on the assumption (not necessarily correct!) that it won't cause any permanent damage just the possible inconvenience of having to drain it off and refill with something else if it doesn't work out.

(If you're going to give the Volvo oil further consideration it would be a good thing to check out all the technical info on it including what all the specification numbers mean.)

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)