Noisy VH engine - Roller mains

Singles, twins and fours.
Pete.Silson
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Noisy VH engine - Roller mains

Post by Pete.Silson »

My VH engine has always been mechanically noisy and harsh so I have finally had the engine apart to investigate. I found nothing unusual until I removed the crankshaft and found it had three roller bearings rather than the outer driveside bearing being a deep groove ball bearing.
driveside main bearing 1.jpg

I was under the impression the ball bearing limited the crank end float. The timing side bearing was a lipped roller and I guess this restricted the endfloat on the crank. The two driveside rollers were in good condition but the timing side bearing was in a very poor state, possibly caused by the rollers hammering on the lip.

Any thoughts? - Pete
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Noisy VH engine - Roller mains

Post by Roger Gwynn »

Not good to use the lips on rollers for end thrust they are not designed to do that, whereas ball races are. Apparently the lips are intended to act as a sort of safety net.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

The datum for crankshaft end float on a 1936-59 single is the ball bearing on the drive side. I am surprised that the roller used in place of it doesn't show damage. Has the inside of the timing pinion worn away the timing case?
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

The Huntmaster (and BSA A10 for that matter) have a bush for the the timing side main and a lipped roller on the drive side. There's nothing 'positive' as such to locate the crankshaft and the lipped rollers don't seem mind about dealing with end-float. :?

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
Pete.Silson

Post by Pete.Silson »

There's nothing 'positive' as such to locate the crankshaft and the lipped rollers don't seem mind about dealing with end-float
Simon, I seem to remember that the end-float on BSA twins is controlled by the timing side bush which is pulled onto the crankshaft by the timing pinion. The actual float is set by adding shims between the crankshaft and bush flange sufficient to keep the rollers on the drive side clear of the lip.

I might be wrong - it been 50 years since I dismantled a BSA twin.

Pete
Pete.Silson

Post by Pete.Silson »

I am surprised that the roller used in place of it doesn't show damage. Has the inside of the timing pinion worn away the timing case?
Paul,

Both the outer bearings are lipped and it appears to have been shimmed so as to get the desired end-float between the two lips. Hence the timing pinion is held clear of the crankcase which is undamaged. The drive-side bearing does show some contact with the rollers on the lip however the timing-side bearing seems to have got the worst of the deal.

Pete
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by simon.holyfield »

Pete.Silson wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:43 pm
There's nothing 'positive' as such to locate the crankshaft and the lipped rollers don't seem mind about dealing with end-float
Simon, I seem to remember that the end-float on BSA twins is controlled by the timing side bush which is pulled onto the crankshaft by the timing pinion. The actual float is set by adding shims between the crankshaft and bush flange sufficient to keep the rollers on the drive side clear of the lip.

I might be wrong - it been 50 years since I dismantled a BSA twin.

Pete
If I recall correctly, you put the shims under the inner race of the drive side bearing, so the shims can't move. The crank floats between the bush flange and the lip on the drive side main.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

As Paul says the outer race (BALL bearing) kept in place by a circlip in the alloy does the locating of the crankshaft using the force of the spring in the cush drive. Nev
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Pete.Silson wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:43 pm ...I might be wrong - it been 50 years since I dismantled a BSA twin.
Pete
I've just spent a couple of days measuring and shimming a Huntmaster bottom end.

As has been noted the shims go between the roller bearing inner and the crank web, the timing pinion gets tightened against the crank journal on the other side.

There is no positive location of the crank, it's free to float between the timing side bush and the (outer race) lip of the drive-side roller bearing, which doesn't seem to have any problem dealing with any stresses from this type of setup.

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

Duplicated and hopefully deleted this time Nev
Last edited by nevhunter on Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.