Ariel Factory Despatch records

Anything about Ariels
Dave S

Ariel Factory Despatch records

Post by Dave S »

Hi, is it common knowledge (that I'm not aware of!) as to who holds or is custodian of the Ariel factory despatch records?
Reason for asking is that I'd like to carry out some research relating to my bike and those produced alongside it which requires some trawling through the relevant despatch records. I'm happy to do that job myself rather than lumbering someone else, or am happy for them to do it, but who do I contact?
Happy to explain the situation and reasons behind my request to whoever the "responsible adult" is, if they would like to PM me?
The outcome of having a look at the records for this reason would likely add a tiny bit more info to the existing picture... maybe.
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Ariel Factory Despatch records

Post by Roger Gwynn »

The originals are currently held by the VMCC which is where the Science Museum sent them for some reason. Many years ago, while they were still at the science museum the club and Draganfly shared the cost of having them copied onto microfilm, they were later transferred to pdf files by Ariel and several copies made. Ariel has a set, Paul Jameson as archivist has a set as does Bennet Longman as dating officer. I also have a set as I do the dating certificates for Draganfly and a few years ago took over the machine register. I am in the process of transferring all the engine, frame and models to an Excell spread sheet, principally to help in finding frame numbers, 93,744 entered so far. If you like to let me know what it is that you are after I should be able to help, either with the information or copies the pages so that you can find it yourself. Sounds intriguing!
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Maybe obvious for a few of us but 'Ariel' is Ariel Atzori in Italy. (sorry Roger for me being pedantic....again :lol: )
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

Quite right to be so, I often criticise people for assuming that others will know stuff like acronyms being introduced without writing it out in full the first time.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
Dave S

Post by Dave S »

Hi Roger, many thanks for your offer of help, I've PM'd you.
Dave.
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

Dave,

Give me a ring sometime on the number in Cheval. If I know what you are looking for, I can give some guidance as to whether you may find it. The Despatch Books take quite a lot of getting used to but eventually, after about 10 years in my case, you get a "feel" for understanding them and knowing where to look for things.
Roger Gwynn has done an immense amount of work transcribing frame numbers onto a spreadsheet so we can find bikes by those. He has learned an awful lot in the process. I have done a different exercise on some of the Books from the early 1930s, again recording the frame numbers but also recording the despatch dates and whether the bikes went to the UK or to a selection of overseas dealers and export agents. That has taught me an awful lot - but different from what Roger has learned. One result is that Roger and I can get into immensely detailed discussions on the Despatch Books so sensible people keep away if we are deep in discussion at a rally!

Paul.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
Dave S

Post by Dave S »

Hi Paul, many thanks for your kind offer. I've exchanged emails with Roger who has provided a lot of clarification. I'm happy for you to be included if Roger is, to see if you can shed any further light?
By all means contact Roger direct to that end if you wish?
Dave.