VB Cam end float

Singles, twins and fours.
NeilN

VB Cam end float

Post by NeilN »

Hi,

I have a 1953 VB Ariel and am in the process of fixing some oil leaks on the engine. I have removed the gear case to replace the gasket and found someone has fitted a thin brass shim to the rear of the camshaft which I assume was to take up end float on the cam.

I am going to remove this shim because it is scored and am worried it may eventually break up. Could some one advise me how much cam end float there should be and the correct procedure for adjusting it.

thanks in advance

Cheers, Neil
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: VB Cam end float

Post by Roger Gwynn »

The correct procedure is to add shims to reduce the end float to the minimum, I don't think that I have ever seen a figure for it. As the engine warms up the clearance will only increase as the alloy cases will expand more than the cam. The shims do have a part number and are occasionally seen fitted to un molested engines.
1785-29 for the cam and 1785-32 for the followers.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Or a 'non-standard' method of reducing the end-float is to gently push the cam bushes closer together! (Or maybe just one of them...)
SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

Watch out that the inner bush does not end up a bit loose in the case. IF it moves inwards you might get a sudden stop. I wouldn't worry about a bit of end float. i've never heard any noises that I could associate with that situation. Using thin shims on moving thrust faces is bad practice especially when gears are nearby. Bits of shim going between the teeth doesn't help anything. Nev