WD 40 Type Liquids

Bikes or not. Whatever
Mick D
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

WD 40 Type Liquids

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I'm sure I'm not the only one who is fed up with paying exorbitant prices for aerosols of WD 40! back in the day when I was a young 'apprentice' it used to be available as a liquid in several sizes of cans. I see that you can still buy it in 5L quantities for upwards of £35, I've also seen a product referred to as DW40 at £23 on Amazon. Has anyone any experience of this, or other, product that they can relate and what would you recommend as a substitute?
I use it in general as a light lubricant, surface cleaner and rust preventative.

Regards Mick
Paul Gasson
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: WD 40 Type Liquids

Post by Paul Gasson »

Hi Mick, I can suggest a product called Action Can AC-90, it’s available in a 5 litre can as well as smaller aerosols and you get a trigger spray bottle included with the 5 litre pack usually. I just found it on-line at £33.88. It was made by guys who originally worked for the company offering WD-40, they set up their own business and improved the product. WD-40 is not what it once was and my current stock of AC is still the improved formula. I don’t have any connection with the maker but I worked for a business who distributed so I got quite a few samples before I retired!

As you are probably aware, the product is better as a water dispersant and light rust preventative, it does lubricate but will get gummy after time and attract dust and road dirt.

Action Can offer a range of aerosols including a zinc rich silver paint that I have used fairly successfully on some of my bike parts.

Kind regards, Paul
Julian Murphy

Post by Julian Murphy »

I use GT 85. Its a much better lubicant than WD40.

Both Aldi and Lidl sell it from time to time at their special offer prices.

Or, always available from the usual suspects like Halfords, Screwfix etc.
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi, have a look on toolstation or screwfix or Ebay i also use AC 90 as well as WD40 in 5L cans or aerosoles and i find them much the same i think there was a court case against AC90 because they both work on WD40 for the air force
Julian Murphy

Post by Julian Murphy »

If you want a good corrosion preventative then try ACF-50.

Works on steel, aluminium, brass etc. Good on the underside of the engine in the winter (unless you have more oil on the outside than the inside !)
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi i spray my bikes with ACF 50 when i am laying my bikes, up i also use the Acf 50 grease, for all my greasing needs and i find it very good and the spray is very good at protecting the electrics from water and damp :D
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

Very few of these things are good for rubber. A lot of the time I just use "spray on wipe off" auto polish. .Nev
garycullen
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by garycullen »

Like Nev I try not to use WD40 or CRC 5-56 or similar on rubber parts.
I usually wipe with rag with some castor oil based grease similar to rubber grease when fitting rubber that is a tight fit.
If setting metal items on the shelf over a winter or parking the bike up, I spray all bare metal surfaces with CRC Soft Seal. Easily removed with turps and a rag when you need to use the part or bike and the best protection from rust I have found.
Gary Cullen
Forrest Hill
Auckland
Antipodes
1946 VB600 rigid Tele
1973 Honda CB350 owned since 1981.
1933 Austin 10
2008 Fraser Clubman (like lotus 7 only better )
allan.walker

Post by allan.walker »

What would you be using it for? If it's for preventing corrosion, it's not great, as has already been mentioned.
Have you seen this?
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/r ... -inhibitor