Bent fork stanchions - other damage?

Anything about Ariels
dennis.t
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Bent fork stanchions - other damage?

Post by dennis.t »

The fork stanchions on my '56 NH are bent visibly. A difficult question without more information but is there likely to be damage elsewhere, to the fork leg bottoms and fork clamps perhaps?
The bike is undergoing restoration and the forks are off the bike, I am hoping to replace just the stanchions and seals.
Many thanks,
Dennis
1955 VH500 alloy head
1956 NH350 restoration in progress
will_curry
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: Bent fork stanchions - other damage?

Post by will_curry »

I've never found any other damage after I've bent front forks - I used to ride
trials with Ariels both solo and sidecar. I happily bent the forks straight with a
jig and a car jack during the week for next week's trial.

As long as the stanchions aren't kinked or pitted or unduly scored I'd bend them
straight.

Bent forks, HS gearbox, might have been raced - what an interesting bike you've
got hold of.
dennis.t
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by dennis.t »

Will,
Thank you for your reply. "Interesting" is right! I bought a pile of bits and I am working my way through them to see what I have. I broke my own rule to not buy another parts bike and restore it but I can't help myself!
I have not taken the forks apart yet so I do not know if the stanchions are salvageable yet. It looks like I can get a pair from the clubs stock of Singles spares if need be.
Dennis
1955 VH500 alloy head
paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by paul.jameson »

The other likely damage is a dented slider if the forks were bent by hitting something. Easily found by careful rubbing over with the end of your finger but not so easily corrected although I once saw the dent removed by skilled use of a hammer round the circumference of the dent which drew it back out.
If you go for pattern stanchions it is worth polishing them where the oil seal will make contact; otherwise you will be replacing oil seals on a regular basis. Better still is to have them hard chromed and ground back to size.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
dennis.t
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by dennis.t »

Paul,
Thank you that information.
Dennis
1955 VH500 alloy head
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

Small dents in the bottom leg can be got around by adding a flat on the lower bush and carefully assembling the stanchion in the right position so that the flat is lined up with the dent. Dents are usually on the side of the leg and most thrust takes place fore and the width of the flat required is usually small, not suitable for larger dents.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
dennis.t
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by dennis.t »

Thanks Roger.
1955 VH500 alloy head
david.anderson

Post by david.anderson »

No one has mentioned bent triple trees/yokes. I have straightened several bottom yokes where the yoke has been twisted on one side as a result of a collision. In one case I even had a bottom yoke where the yoke had been spread and the centres were at 7 ¾” rather than 7 5/8”. That was one yoke that I discarded.
With stanchions there is often 2 bends, one where the stanchion goes through the yoke and another at the point where the top of the leg /top bush is in contact with the stanchion, generally with the leg in a compressed state due to braking.. As such it is important to mount the stanchion between centres to determine the number of bends as well as the centre of the bend, before attempting to press the leg straight.
David
dennis.t
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by dennis.t »

David,
Good advice thank you. I looked at the yokes but did not see any problem. I will mount the stanchions in the yoke before bending.
As a double check I have a spare yoke so if there is any doubt about the potentially damaged one I can check it against the 'good' one.
Dennis
1955 VH500 alloy head