Arrow engine tools

Richard B

Arrow engine tools

Post by Richard B »

I am in the process of making a tool to hold the flywheels on the off side whilst I undo the 3/8 cap screw which holds both off and near sides together. Can any body tell me if the bar which passes through the tool passes the big end? In which case it’s going to need a flat section to allow it to pass the big end. Or is it permissible to hold only the flywheel on one side of the big end?
bh.sprint
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: Arrow engine tools

Post by bh.sprint »

The bar goes through both flywheels, yes there is a flat on the end to allow it to go past the big end. Brian H
Richard B

Post by Richard B »

Thanks for the help.
bh.sprint

Post by bh.sprint »

The cut away on my locating plate pin is slightly convex, it does fit in very well and makes the crank removal/installing very easy. Brian H.
Attachments
new computer 025.JPG
Ivor Collins
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Ivor Collins »

There is a drawing I could look out if that would help you?
Richard B

Post by Richard B »

Thanks for all the responses concerning engine tools. The tools I have made are available to members to borrow. Using the tools I successfully unscrewed the 3/8 cap screw and separated the near side from the offside flywheels. But I can’t get the offside out, which is loose because I can’t move the near side out of the way of the end of the cap screw. It appears the crankshaft is tight in the central main bearing. Has anyone else encountered this?
Ivor Collins
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Ivor Collins »

Maybe locktite has been used on the centre bearing but there are two stages to separating the crank halves from each other.
Firstly by taking the tension off the cap head and secondly continuing to unscrew it until resistance it felt once again when the tapers can be forced apart.
If you have done both stages, you could try re engaging the centre cap head by a few turns and tapping the offside crank to break it away or you may need to make yet another tool and use the crankshaft end thread to pull the crank through the bearing.
Richard B

Post by Richard B »

Thanks Ivor. I am sure the cap screw is fully disengaged, and I continued to unscrew using the cap screw to separate the taper. I have tried re-engaging the cap screw and tapping it without success. I also tried gently prising the inner flywheel from the crankcase. Finally I made up a sliding hammer which was equally unsuccessful. Plan B is to take the whole engine to Draganfly where I have already arranged for them to check the bearings and seals and, if necessary carry out a rebore.