1923 Ariel 250cc lightweight.

Ken Rogers

1923 Ariel 250cc lightweight.

Post by Ken Rogers »

Hi all I have just joined this forum ,I live in Bishop Auckland in the North East of England and thought I would share a few photos of my 1923 250 cc Ariel lightweight.It is pretty much original apart from the exaust system (which I have made ) and the 2 toolboxes on the rack at the rear.It should have a large round leather toolbox mounted between the rear number plate and the mudguard.The engine is the original250cc Blackburn that was nade for the Ariel motorcyce company,It goes very well but it is let down by only having a 2 speed gearbox.I cannot find much information on this model or dont know of another one.
Attachments
20230703_113920.jpg
20230214_150400.jpg
20230214_150620.jpg
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: 1923 Ariel 250cc lightweight.

Post by Roger Gwynn »

Hi Ken and welcome to the forum. A rare machine indeed, like many lightweights they have not survived well. Yours does look complete and pretty much original. 1924 they had a 3 speed Sturmey-Archer and in 1925 a 3 speed Burman. There is only one other entry in the club's register for your bike, which is when Bill Toppin owned it back in 1982.
I know of at least four others that I have the details of and another 4 that I only have partial details of. There is a 1924 example owned by a young lady in Czechia that once belonged to Reg Eyre, she usually rides it on the rallies there.
I would be interested to know which model of Burman gearbox is fitted and its number if there is one. I have never seen a parts book, the only info is from the catalogues and brochures.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

Looks Burman alright but I've never seen a 2 speed . The Blackburn with external flywheel was used in a few brands of bike and they made aero engines as well. Nev
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi Ken, welcome to the forum a very nice looking lightweight Ariel and fun to ride as well :) 8-)
Ken Rogers

Post by Ken Rogers »

Roger Gwynn wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:36 pm Hi Ken and welcome to the forum. A rare machine indeed, like many lightweights they have not survived well. Yours does look complete and pretty much original. 1924 they had a 3 speed Sturmey-Archer and in 1925 a 3 speed Burman. There is only one other entry in the club's register for your bike, which is when Bill Toppin owned it back in 1982.
I know of at least four others that I have the details of and another 4 that I only have partial details of. There is a 1924 example owned by a young lady in Czechia that once belonged to Reg Eyre, she usually rides it on the rallies there.
I would be interested to know which model of Burman gearbox is fitted and its number if there is one. I have never seen a parts book, the only info is from the catalogues and brochures.
Hi Roger you are right it was owned by Bill Toppin but I bought ita year ago off an old guy in Cumbria when I went to collect some Douglas parts of him that I had bought,I think he had owned it for quiet a long time but never used it.I have replace the exaust ,painted the tank,made new brake blocks and given a good service.At the moment I am on sorting a set of lights for it.I thought about putting a 3 speed box in it but then decided not too as it would spoil its originality of the bike.It goes very well and the 2 speeds are not too bad but its a totaly different bike to ride compared to my 1926 Douglas.regards Ken
Attachments
20201027_132108.jpg
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

Found this on a Faceache page when trying to find out more about Blackburne https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 232&type=3
There should be numbers cast into the gearbox that would indicate the model number and a series of letters stamped into the top of the casing.
In 1923 Burman made 6 gearboxes 3 speed D, E and L and 2 speed H, F and J. The one fitted to the Blackburne looks like model J. I wouldn't think that you would gain much by adding a third gear, not worth spoiling the bikes for, I only use 2 of the 3 gears on my '26, unless starting on a hill and I have raised the overall gearing.
mmmm Nice Douglas
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.