Wanted - Pushrod for 52 VH

tony.barnett
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Wanted - Pushrod for 52 VH

Post by tony.barnett »

Hello all
I've started to put my 52 VH back together but, as ever, some of the carefully stored parts have gone AWOL...I'm missing a pushrod for an iron engined VH. Drags website says its 11 7/16" length (to inside of the cup), which oddly enough matches the one I have. But two would be better. Anyone got a spare?
KOBI
Swindon Branch Secretary
Ariels - 1913 TT Model, 20 Roadster, 28 Model D, 30 Model B, 38 VH, 52 VH
Velocette MAC, KSS Mk1
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: Wanted - Pushrod for 52 VH

Post by nevhunter »

I'd suggest you check how the one you have fits before you get one more. A height above the Head top face would be the same for all of the pushrods if someone has the time to check it. Are you running the original camshaft? Nev
Brian_Walker
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Brian_Walker »

Good question Nev, non standard twin lobe cam on mine needs one pushrod 2mm longer than the other, If its single lobe cam (fitted to some late 52 bikes) they will both need to be the same length. With my 51/52 VCH if they are put in around the wrong way one tappet adjuster is right in and the other right out I have marked them now in and ex. Originally i did a trial fit with engine on TDC and without rocker boxes fitted then placed a spirit level across the top of the pushrods (at this time both were the same length) it was then I noticed that the exhaust pushrod was quite different height to the inlet one so i needed to sweat off the end and alter the length and a dab of silver solder to re-attach, now the rocker arms are both horizontal with tappets in the middle of their adjustments.
1951-52 VCH under restoration
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

I think they are only press fitted on originally, Brian. I use a smallish 3 Jaw Chuck as a slide hammer to get the end off. I need some Al tube for the later ones . (All alloy motor). It would have to be better than any old alluminium tube. Say something decent like "Dural". That's a trade name. The originals are very worn by the seals between Head and Barrell. Nev
tony.barnett

Post by tony.barnett »

Wise words - I have two other long pushrods - I'll see how they fit on the bike. As far as I know its a standard cam in the engine (been a while, can't remember the number). Worst case I can get some tube and make a longer one.
Thanks.
KOBI
Swindon Branch Secretary
Ariels - 1913 TT Model, 20 Roadster, 28 Model D, 30 Model B, 38 VH, 52 VH
Velocette MAC, KSS Mk1